X

LED Taillight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Taillight

Has anyone tried to make their own LED board for the 03+? I'm curious if it wouldn't be cheaper to make one yourself. I just can't afford $70 for a LED taillight from CA right now. I'm thinking that it might be cheaper to create a board using clear LEDs and still use the stock lense until I can find a cheaper lense on Ebay or something and then create a red LED board.

Any input?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Have you tried ebay...sometimes you can get a really good deal on them there also check out what other models will fit your bike that way you broaden your search...

Making it is a real pain in the butt...I'm actually trying to make one for my Kat 600 (pre98)...I'm waiting for the template to be reproduced...my brother owns a machine shop and making one of metal for me...
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Busa and 03+ Kat are the only ones that will fit. Ebay is usually the same price as CA or they look a bit "off".

Is it really that hard? Cut some board, drill holes, wire them up (resitors as well) and connect to a socket adapter...
      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

I didn't use a circuit board.
        I had a piece of 2mm or so lexan hanging around and used that. First I figured out the shape I needed using thin cardboard (trimmed to fit the bike exactly how I wanted). Transfered that to a piece of graph paper. Used the graph paper to lay out the LED pattern. Then taped the graph paper to the lexan, transfered the outline (and here is the tip of the day) used a center punch to prick through the paper to the lexan. I drilled holes at the punch marks, sized so the LED was a press fit. Then I got soldering..

Comment

I didn't think it had to be a circuit board. I'm going to have to look into this. I'll still have to figure out the wiring for running and brake light functions.

I remember you doing a write up on this, BP (I think). Do you remember where it is by any chance? I am going to search, but just in case...

Found it:
          A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
          mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
          Last edited by brooder; 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Check out PCBexpress. They are a rapid prototyping board producer. Prices aren't too bad. Maybe making just one board wouldn't make financial sense, but making multiple ones and selling would make up the cost.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

If you really want to experiment...especially with the brake lights and running...I believe you use an 1157 bulb...buy a cheap one you can usually find them for less than $1...using a soldering iron...heat the bottome so that the two nubs unsolder...and pull the bulb out so you have the metal casing...run wire in the two bottom holes and one piece to the metal casing on the inside (that will be your "-")...The other two wires one will be brake and the other running...now you can plug your item in to your regular bulb plug without having to cut anything....
              Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
              Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Converting the bulb socket is a good idea.
                I chose not too just because I didn't..

Can you still get the IC kits from radio shack? Used to contain a piece of copper clad board and the acid?

You saw my write up. IMO it is the way to go. If you want "pot" it with silicone goop to seal it from water.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Can you still get the IC kits from radio shack? Used to contain a piece of copper clad board and the acid?
                  I just bought one last week actually. It was on clearance for half price ($8.00 If I remember right). Bought it for the sole reason of making my led taillight for the cb, and one for my 88 kat. This one had 2 boards in it (~3"x~5"), and the bottle of acid, and I got it from "the source" (used to be radio shack)

Don't know if they were on clearance because they are going to stop selling them, or if it was just a sale. The fact that it was on "clearance" leads me to believe they are going to stop carrying them Or go with another brand, different packaging etc.

Comment

I bet too many kids drank the liquid..

Comment

Comment

nice.. So that intergrates the turn signals?

While I like keeping the LED to resistor ratio 1:1.. Kwebbel once again has the super clean design..

Comment

I bet too many kids drank the liquid..
                          Was I not supposed to do that?

Comment

Oh it's fine for adults.. Just not for kids.

Comment

nice.. So that intergrates the turn signals?

While I like keeping the LED to resistor ratio 1:1.. Kwebbel once again has the super clean design..

Yes this one is with integrated turnsignals (blinkers)

from left to right:
                              Block-1 left turnsignal
                              Block-2 taillight/brakelight (Hi/Lo)
                              Block-3 extra Brakelight
                              Block-4 taillight/brakelight (Hi/Lo)
                              Block-5 right turnsignal

Comment

Working...
                              X