No announcement yet.
X

Mods Poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 GSXR 750, the rebuild was not cheap it was like $300 but it has a remote res too and recharging the nitrogen was part of the rebuild. And how does a 600 shock take the Kats weight without being rebuilt for that weight?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
      1992 GSXR 750, the rebuild was not cheap it was like $300 but it has a remote res too and recharging the nitrogen was part of the rebuild. And how does a 600 shock take the Kats weight without being rebuilt for that weight?
      Do you know the dry weight difference between the GSX-R 600 and the GSX-F 750? 3 pounds..

Comment

okay, one has a steel frame, one has an aluminum frame, I'm calling BS on that one.

Comment

what year GSXR 600 and what year GSXF 750, I'll check

Comment

Dry weight:
            2005 GSXR 600 - 354.9 lbs
            2004 GSXF 750 - 465 lbs
            Weigt difference 110.1 lbs. now that sounds right.
            so were your getting 3 lbs I couldn't tell you.

Comment

okay, one has a steel frame, one has an aluminum frame, I'm calling BS on that one.
              I know.. Crazy huh? I got the dry weights from Jarmo's site. I'm sure he got the data from the Suzuki literature. But think about this:
              Aluminum is lighter per cubic inch than Steel but not as stiff, so it takes more aluminum (volume wise) to match steel. If the gixxer frame is stiffer than the kat frame then it's possible that the gixxer frame weights more. The rule for Stainless (I think "regular" steel is pretty close) that aluminum is 1/3 the weight but 1/2 the stiffness. Also if I'm not mistaken USDs are heavier than conventional. Wider tires cannot be ignored and since the 600 took a 170-180 tire it had a wider rim also heavier. Swinging arms are vastly different. The flimsy tube of the Kat replaced with a stout cast/spun unit on the 600. Very stiff and possibly heavier. Oh and on the subject all fasteners like axles and swing arm pivots are larger so unless hollow they are heavier.

Comment

that dry weight info is from the Suzuki website, there is absolutely no way there is a 3 lbs difference in the GSXR and GSXF

Comment

You know we need to have some fairly stock Katana owners step up on some scales. We also have a fair number of GSX-R owners too..

Either way, the spring on the GSXR shock can account for riders ranging in weight. I'm only 165 so even if the Kat weights 50 Lb more than the GSX-R that is still an average rider. I have the sag set and the preload in minimal. Also the rear suspension only bears (on average) 1/2 the total weight. So divide the delta by half..

Comment

okay, I believe you that it works fine. But, know this, there is NO WAY I'm believing that a Kat 750 is 3 lbs. heavier then a GSXR 600.

Comment

explain this then. If a GSXR can wheelie just fine and a Kat can't why is that? A Katana engine is a GSXR engine with crappy cams. Katana carbs are GSXR carbs with different jetting. You can't make me believe that cams make the difference between wheelies and no wheelie. Court93kat has GSXR 750 cams in his pre Katana, why don't we ask him if his Katana wheelie like a gixxer. Gearing is different, but don't you think 110.1 lbs might have something to do with that?

Comment

1. GSXR 1100 shock, rebuild with RaceTech valving and a Penske spring.
                        2. RaceTech cartridge emulators, springs and new oil in the front forks (can be done at home with brazing tools).
                        3. HEL brakelines and Carbon Lorraine pads (from HS2020) plus really good brake fluid.

Then you can worry about the exhaust, looks, whatever as you will now have a Kat that will out handle 80% of the bikes out there. Just my .02 worth but handling should be the #1 followed by braking.
                        sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                        MSF Rider Coach 27028
                        MoPowerSports.com
                        Torco
                        SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                          I know.. Crazy huh? I got the dry weights from Jarmo's site. I'm sure he got the data from the Suzuki literature. But think about this:
                          Aluminum is lighter per cubic inch than Steel but not as stiff, so it takes more aluminum (volume wise) to match steel. If the gixxer frame is stiffer than the kat frame then it's possible that the gixxer frame weights more. The rule for Stainless (I think "regular" steel is pretty close) that aluminum is 1/3 the weight but 1/2 the stiffness. Also if I'm not mistaken USDs are heavier than conventional. Wider tires cannot be ignored and since the 600 took a 170-180 tire it had a wider rim also heavier. Swinging arms are vastly different. The flimsy tube of the Kat replaced with a stout cast/spun unit on the 600. Very stiff and possibly heavier. Oh and on the subject all fasteners like axles and swing arm pivots are larger so unless hollow they are heavier.
                          The GSXR rims are much lighter than the Kats. Also, even though it takes more aluminum, it's still much lighter than the steel frame of the Kat. My swingarm on the Gix is also aluminum so there is a weight savings there as well. gixxer frames do not weigh more than the steel frame of a Kat if for no other reason than there isn't as much frame. The Kat has the steel subframe welded to the frame. gixxers have a lightweight aluminum square tube subframe bolted to the frame. Kats have all steel mounts up front for the fairing while gixxers (mine at least) have an aluminum fairing stay. My dry weight is 370 pounds. A Kat can't even come close to that.

The 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.
                          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                          MSF Rider Coach 27028
                          MoPowerSports.com
                          Torco
                          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Why would you get a Factory Pro ignition advancer when you can do it yourself for no cost?

Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

because for $44 + shipping it's 100% easier to buy one that do it yourself.

Comment

The 92 750 Gixxer weighs nearly as much as a pre-98 Katana (a post-98 is even heavier), both bikes were allmost the same those days, biggest difference was that the Kat was backthen allready a budgetbike and the Gixer was partly equiped with better more expensive parts, but the difference in weight was indeed no more than 3 Lbs.

/on topic @Wazzukirk
                                Like said before I agree with the guys telling you to go first for mods invoking better handling and performance, looks are not important and will give you less bang for the buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X