Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How To install a Freeway Blaster (super simple)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To install a Freeway Blaster (super simple)

Ok, earlier this morning I was almost hit by some dumb lady on her cell phone as she was backing out of her parking spot. I laid on the horn but she kept on coming. I revved the throttle to about 10K RPM and she finally heard that and stopped. Her excuse was "I couldn't hear your horn"..pissed off as I was I told her "Hang up and drive you dumb b****".

Well, thats not the first time someone didn't hear my horn, so I decided to get a new one.

I have read lots of posts about people using a "freeway blaster" horn, so I went to Advance Auto and got one for $15.88

Its WAY louder then stock...and VERY EASY to install, infact its a direct bolt on replacement.

Here is a quick write-up on installing it on an 06 Katana:

This is Sasquatch's 'Freeway Blaster' Horn swap.

First, refer to my fairing removal write-up Here

You do NOT have to remove your fairings. I did because I was doing other work at the same time

Tools needed for the swap (not including fairing removal)

12mm socket (or wrench)
    10mm Socket (or wrench)
    Soket wrench (if using sockets)

Here is the Horn I bought:

First, unplug the old horn (2 wires, located on right side)

Next, remove the horn from the bracket

Now, put the new horn on the bracket (I chose to use the stock brackets) and bolt the horn back into place.

Using a pair of Scissors (any thing that can cut plastic can be used), snip the little black connectors between the power and ground lead.

Attach the power lead to one blade connector, and the ground to the other (it doesn't matter which).

Test the horn, and reassemble your motorcycle.

You now have a much louder horn then stock.

Hope this little write-up helps.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

I have that same one. But since I use pit bull front stand I had to move mine. Horn works great though.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Do they come in more than one flavor of noise? I'm thinking with a relay, and about 5 minutes of wiring... you'll be able to hear the Bandit from space... Thanks for sharing.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just did the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I didn't remove the fairing though, there was enough room the get my hands and horn through over the front fender. And since I don't like cutting off or messing with factory harnesses I made two 2.5in wires with connectors to plug in.

Tip of the Day: install the horn with the cone down so water cannot get into it.

I REALLY needed the horn about a week later for a car driving the wrong way on the highway but it didnt work. Water had gotten in the cone.
        sigpic

Comment

Steve yes there are two different tones. A high tone and a low tone. I have the low tone. thinking of buying the high tone to see what it sounds like.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

yeah, I got the low tone, there is the high tone as well, but the guy said it sounded more like a Ferrari horn (really high)
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Excellent write up. I will follow suit on this. I can't believe it requires no splicing! Usually the Scorpion serves as my horn.

Thanks!

Edit: Sticky this!!
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch
                yeah, I got the low tone, there is the high tone as well, but the guy said it sounded more like a Ferrari horn (really high)
                That's why I'd use a relay... and hook 'em up together to both fire at the same time... 8)
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Great wright up Marc. This is probably my most favorite mode so far. CHEAP AND EASY!!

OK, FOLKS WITH BIG HANDS!!! You might want to pick up an extra bolt. it's kinda tight behind the bracket/mount and horn. I dropped my bolt several times, losing it on the last drop : (of course I found it in plain site the next morning when I rolled the bike out). Anyway, luckily I had one that fit in my screw can.
                  This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                  BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I went by Advance and they had one left. I just installed it and nice! No more moped horn!

Thanks again for the tip.

Oh and I did not remove the fairings. I grabbed a creeper and had plenty of room looking up from the throttle side with the wheel turned to the left.
                    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      That's why I'd use a relay... and hook 'em up together to both fire at the same time... 8)
                      The Freeway Blaster is kinda large , so if you can fit BOTH of them in there , may as well get you an airhorn .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Originally posted by steves
                        The Freeway Blaster is kinda large , so if you can fit BOTH of them in there , may as well get you an airhorn .
                        Under the side plasitics? : I'll figure out somethin' loud...
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

DOH!!!

When snipping the plastic that holds the two leads together, be VERY careful not to snip one of the leads. Ask me how I know.

Now the five minute job of reaching in the front end to replace the horn will require the removal of the fairing so that I have access to rewire the whole mess. I am so p!$$ed with myself right now.
                          I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

I was able to stip the ends and put new connectors on my buddy's '06 600 without pulling the plastics. I was able to put it on the center stand and turn the wheel to the side allowing me enough access to do this.

(He broke a connector trying to install a different horn.)
                            -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
                            -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

Originally posted by Spud
                              DOH!!!

When snipping the plastic that holds the two leads together, be VERY careful not to snip one of the leads. Ask me how I know.

Now the five minute job of reaching in the front end to replace the horn will require the removal of the fairing so that I have access to rewire the whole mess. I am so p!$$ed with myself right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X