X

Coming back to my Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming back to my Kat

Soooo... hi guys. I haven’t been here in a while. My 91 pre has been in storage for a few years. I bought and Aprilia Mana 850 that I played with for 2 years and picked up a 2003 Vrod last year for peanuts.

I've had my fun with both bikes but really feel like I need to revisit my 91 and finish things up. I enjoyed the heck out of that bike and want to ride it again... and again...

Unresolved issues:

1. Carbs. Rebuilt them and brought everything back to stock jets, etc. The bike came with a Vance and Hines Supersport (header to can) and I further complicated issues by ditching the completely shot can and replacing it with a Yosh meant for a Gixxer 600. It sure looks pretty, and sound great, but runs horribly.

2. Forks. The adjustments are shot. I need to have them rebuilt.

3. Suspension. Since I’ll be getting the forks done, the rear suspension is also pretty cruddy. I’m a big guy (6’1” 250 lbs) and I need a hit more .... hmmm... support. No pre-load adjustment so I’m thinking a much stiffer spring.

I know that there used to be a member that rebuilt carbs and and another that rebuilt forks- but that was a few years ago.

Advice gratefully accepted!
    Last edited by lastleg; 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM.
    sigpic
    '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

I redid my suspension recently . The rear shock likely lost the last of its nitrogen around the time GW Bush left office, bike sagged and felt like a moving van.
    i got a new shock, new springs, feels like new bike .
    As for rebuilding carbs, I sent my out a few years ago to wiredgeorge ( just google it). He takes mail in carbs and rebuilds them for around $300 ( I think). This is complete disassembly and dipping . Bear in mind that he’s popular and you’ll wait but he does show you on line where your carbs are in the que.

Comment

I think i just need to noodle around with the jetting... for that, the carbs need to be on the bike. Unless someone knows something that I don't, it's going to be trial-and error getting the jets right.
      sigpic
      '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

Comment

If the carbs aren’t totally clean, then your just wasting your time. I’m no carb guru , but I don’t think you should ever experiment with different jets unless you’re 100% sure the carbs are clean.

Comment

I had them off of the bike and completely (eat-off-of-them) clean. Complete rebuild and vacuum synchronized. But. But. BUUUUUT... it runs like crap under load. Especially in the 4000-6000 rpm range. Frustrating.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X