Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Increase under seat storage on pre-98 kats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase under seat storage on pre-98 kats?

The pre-98s have minute under seat storage. All I can fit under there is the stock tool kit in the little space behind the battery and a few rags under the rear seat.
    I looked beyond the battery and I see a ton of space where the stock air box used to be (I have pods). Has anyone ever fabricated a compartment to fit under there? I was thinking about getting a stock air box and modifying it to give some room for the pods to breath and giving me some extra storage space.

For now, I threw my bungey net under there in case I need to carry something, I can pull it out and strap down my load to my rear seat. Will this harm anything just throwing it under there? Will it heat up and melt?

Is it better to just make a custom compartment to fit in that space or would modifying the stock airbox be the better route to go? I was thinking of making something out of fiberglass, even though I have never done such a large fiberglass project before. Or maybe, can I just buy a bag (not grocery store plastica bag) and stick it in that space and throw all my tools and equipment in there? Or will it heat up and melt a bag?
    Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

I think modifying an airbox is a good idea. You know it will fit well.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I am not sure. I have never seen one installed. Does anyone have pics of the airbox that I can look on? I want to see how much useful space it ocupies, and guesstimate how much space I could make use of inside the airbox.
      03 GSXR 1000
      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
      Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

i know md and some others have commented on using a second battery box. problem is that access to under the tank is minimal, so possibly better to move the battery forward and then use the existing battery location as easy access storage.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

My concern with moving the battery forward would be heat.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I dont think I am going to do the airbox thing. The airbox seems much smaller than the space I currently have. I am going to probably try to stuff a large back in there and see how that goes for a while. Maybe move my toolkit in there and my emergency supplies to free up the easy access space.
            03 GSXR 1000
            04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

considered it years ago... but a magnetic tankbag is just sooo much easier.

however, you might be able to bolt a small Pelican case or OtterBox under the rear fender, just make sure the rear tire won't hit it even when fully compressed.
              KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

thats where I want to put the NOS bottle at

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                  i know md and some others have commented on using a second battery box. problem is that access to under the tank is minimal, so possibly better to move the battery forward and then use the existing battery location as easy access storage.
                  Yeah , I kicked that idea around for a while , and I STILL think it'd work . Grab a spare battery box , make some sides for it with some scrap Al or something and pop rivet it , then maybe wire tie it to the frame . Put the tools in the metal case up front , and things that could possibly melt under the seat . But I have since put an airbox back on , so .....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Easiest way to increase your storage space is to get one of this
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -
                    -

you wont believe how much stuff I can fit under it
                    PAUL
                    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Originally posted by SEQX34
                      -you wont believe how much stuff I can fit under it
                      Can no longer fit the girl on there though.....
                      03 GSXR 1000
                      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

Originally posted by profroopchan
                        Originally posted by SEQX34
                        -you wont believe how much stuff I can fit under it
                        Can no longer fit the girl on there though.....
                        (puts flame suit on before posting my reply)

Well I can always ride her and park the bike

Oh, I can fit 3 Barbie's there easy :flipping:
                        PAUL
                        93 GSXF6 PIX.

Comment

did you have to get that cowl custom made?

Comment

i think it is one of the rare original suzuki ones. few and far between and hard to find now

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                              i think it is one of the rare original suzuki ones. few and far between and VERY hard to find now
                              PAUL
                              93 GSXF6 PIX.

Comment

Working...
                              X