X

grage door opener

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grage door opener

i know i have seen a katana with a grage door opener on the handlebars underneeth the start button. i was hoping some body could kind of walk me through what is involved with this. thanks.
    "you build a life of success a day at a time"
    Tim Hultz

i didnt see it on here but it is easy... just wire a new switch from the current switch on the unit and put it under the seat

Comment

i used the flash to pass switch for mine. since you have an 02, you don't have that but you could pick up a left control on ebay or something and use that. it might have been Trinc that did the one you're thinking of.

Comment

how did you use the flash to pass? did you have to disable it?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
          how did you use the flash to pass? did you have to disable it?
          yes, but since i ride with hi beams all the time, i didn't need it. i just took the handlebar control apart, cut the 2 wires from that switch, and tapped them into my door remote which is mounted inside my headlight housing(naked SV, big round headlight). you could easily hide the opener inside the fairing on a Kat. also, no ill effects from disabling the FTP, hi/lo beams still work as normal which is the way they were before Suzuki added that feature in 03 i think.

Comment

cool idea worth a look...

Comment

yes it was trinc. does he not come to this forum any more. because i saw his mounted on his right controller... also if i am to mount mine in the empty switch hole on my right controlls where would i find a switch to fit? thanks again.
              "you build a life of success a day at a time"
              Tim Hultz

Comment

Worse case scenario..you can always take some heavy duty velcro strips...and mount your basic garage door opener to the inside of your fairings. Then just reach down, push the button when you get home and your all set. Not the most glamerous way to do it but it works in a pinch.

Comment

there are also lots of place that make nice mounts you could use just not sure how they would hold up to th weather?

Comment

I always just kept mine in the top of my tank bag.

Guess I'm too simple...
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i dont ride ride with a tank bag, so that doesnt really work for me

Comment

I have a keyring size one I velcroed to the left dash under the bar.

Had it on the right till I figured out you need throttle control while you are cruising up the driveway.

Carl-
                        "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

i wish they made a small one for my opener

Comment

I did that

Step 1: Take apart your garage opener, figure out which two contacts need to be connected to activate the garage opener and solder a wire to each one. (I used a telephone cable wire because I was at university and didnt have my usual supply of parts handy

Step 2: Take apart the right handlebar controls, remove the little piece of plastic above the ignition and put a rocker or momentary switch it it's place. You may need a dremel to cut away some of the plastic to make it fit nicely in there

Step 3: Connect the wires to the switch, make it fit, test it, then reassemble everything.

Pics to come.

Comment

The garage opener is just waterproofed with plastic wrap and a elastic band and held in place by goop.

Comment

Working...
                              X