X

stock pipe 'muffler' removal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoyleDee
    I did not completly "gut" the muffler , only the third chamber... Have you ever looked into a D&D muffler ? It is completely open except for the mesh on the outer diameter of the opening.. No back pressure will screw up valves..not rings that I know of. Fyi
    never seen the inside too dark

i figure he had something else wrong with his machine. oh well, once i get the proper tools and dedicated time, i'll do this.

Comment

Hey toezter, you can always do as I did and buy another stock can off somebody. I bought mine for $50 and had it shipped from Florida for $20. I did have to modify the rear bracket to fit my bike,but for $70 it was worth the effort and I still have my stock 05 can for inspection puposes if it comes to that. Nothing else ask a friend.......
      Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Some pics.

Could use some more cleaning up but now I just assume nobody's gonna look down my pipe :P

Anybody know where I could upload a mp3 file of the muffler? I got a new mp3 player that has a built in mic so I think I can use that to record the sound[/img]

Comment

another shot sticking my camera into the muffler

Comment

That looks like mine except I have about 6" of the final pipe still in there. I don't have the dremel attachment, but I think that is a great idea with the screwdriver and I will try it when I get the attachment. I love the sound that I got from it....

Comment

was bored at work...

Comment

If you send me the MP3 file, I'll host it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What would happen if you just punch a hole into the side of the restrictor with a screw driver or something? I do not want mine to be too loud, but I want it to have a little more growl than what it have now. I hear the engine more than anything else below 5k RPM. If I could hear a little more, I would be fine, but I dont want it to be too loud. What do you guys think? will it cause a awful whistle effect if I do this?
                  Roops Photography|facebook|
                  03 GSXR 1000
                  04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                  Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

I do not foresee that achieving the result you desire no, I'm not sure how it would sound but I'd imagine it would sound really weird.

Comment

When your car muffler has a hole in it, you hear it a little louder, and as the hole gets larger, the sound get louder. Wouldnt it follow the same logic that you can just creat the perfect size hole in the restrictor to achieve the sound that I want?
                      03 GSXR 1000
                      04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                      Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

i suppose it would make it a bit louder, but cars with holes in their mufflers generally sound like crap more than the open-exhaust sound most people try to achieve.

I say try it out, if it sounds like crap, cut it off

Comment

how did you go about cutting that pipe off/out

Comment

Originally posted by 06pakat
                            how did you go about cutting that pipe off/out
                            read the link in the first message
                            A forum community dedicated to Suzuki SV650 owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, racing, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!

My neighbour has a 98 CBR, and that thing sounds MEAN! but he had stock pipes. It always baffled me about how could stock pipe sound so good. I took a look on it yesterday and saw that it was done to his bike as well. I am now REALLY thinking about doing this.
                            03 GSXR 1000
                            04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski

Comment

do i need to remove the resrictor or can i just take that end piece of pipe out?

Comment

I used the hole saw to create an opening, thinking I could just pull the pipe out....I wound up using the sawzall to cut slits in the final pipe, so that I could get a prybar inside and "pop" the final pipe loose. I instead wound up using a cutting torch to cut the final pipe back as far back into the can as I could. It would have been easier to hole saw, then use the dremel trick ( with extension shaft and really long screwdriver) to remove the pipe. That is all I did. I did use my pnuematic die grinder to open the metal ( lip ) that the hole saw left behind. Just take your time !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X