X

how am I fairing?... :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how am I fairing?... :)

wow, been a while... finally getting my deer-avenger with body styling mods closer and closer to paint... well, the main fairings and belly cowl at least. I put my undertail on the other day and it fits as well as something that doesn't fit at all. So I have to secure a mounting solution to that, and then do body work on it... ya just shouldn't have to do body work on an after market part. The rear hugger shape is also nasty, so that's getting hacked up and redone as well... the part over the chain isn't straight, and the cross section across the top isn't properly round, the latter being truly annoying to fix, so it may just stay that way.

...anyways, despite my griping, I'm getting more and more excited about the finished product.

Attached is a pic of one of the main body mods... the "side blades" on the main fairing. I just felt that the katana fairing designer wimped out of what he really wanted to do, so I did it for him

For anyone wanting to copy... you need to take to your main, most expensive piece of plastic on the bike, and cut out the front of the "bridge" and the round fairing parts next to it at the front. Lay up fiberglass on both sides (to make sure there's a solid bond and naturally strong) using some kind of form to start the blade shape. Get closer to the final shape with glass reinforced bondo (nice strong stuff), and then finish it off with light bondo and primer. Make sure that the blade structure goes through the fairing and is secured to both sides, or flexing the fairing will crack it. The result is about as strong as the original... you can still manhandle the entire fairing by using the blade as a handle.

It was a little easier for me to hack the fairing up like this, as this side at least was already damaged... the bottom right corner, about a full foot radius was smashed off and badly repaired (after the deer akko, I got a full fairing set that was less damaged on ebay... plenty of issues, but unlike my own fairings, at least it was all there )... so I ripped it off and repaired it properly. But the left hand fairing, was perfectly fine, but I think the improvement result is well worth the hacking of a nice expensive part.

I have pics of it all, so if people want and after I get it all done, I can put up a longer spiel on how I did it all... along with the list of other body mods (like removing the keyhole in the left rear fairing).

...anyways, it's progress, and I'm happy so far.
    Attached Files

very cool

ilikeit

Comment

Oh yea...that looks nice

www.3dflag.com

Comment

Working...
      X