No announcement yet.
X

Tips on mounting a cowl on a 2004 kat??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on mounting a cowl on a 2004 kat??

hey,

does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to mount the racer-back cowl on a 2004 Katana??? It's busting my chops!!! i cant get the seat to lock in on the back!!

thanks,
    boricua21
    Put all drivers on stupid...they will prove you right!!!

Do a search... there are lots of tips on cowl mounting (most should be in the body shop forum).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You may have the cowl mounted too far back on the seat..if you do it will knock against the grab bar and wont allow the seat to latch. Try moving it forward on the seat.

Also make sure all 4 of the tabs are folded under the seat completely and not pointing out too much or sticking down.

Comment

I'm having the same problem.
        However, I bought my cowl used, without hardware. I've made mounting brackets for it based on pic.s from this forum and although it fits the seat reasonably well, I did have to put an 1/8th inch spacer under the seat lock to get it to close.

I hope that when I get the proper mounting tabs, that will eliminate the need for the spacer.

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

i just got mine in the mail today...it has the tabs on it, but it was used...still not painted so bascially new..got it off the for sale thread

i am anxious to get it on there and then painted.

JC

Comment

I had the seat latching problem with mine also.Took me about 3 hrs to get it on to where I was satisfied with the fit.My problem was the clips on the back were not bent around the seat enough and was contacting the grab bar.I would bend them again and then have them to tight and the cowl itself would contact the grab bar.Patience and fine adjustments are the key.

Comment

My cowl was a very tight fit. It was pinching down the seat cushion in the front and I really had to push it down pretty hard to get the seat to latch. All the pics on Jim's site are from 98-02 bikes and I know they improved the seat in 03, so the cushion may be thicker. I took a dremel and carefully ground a millimeter or two from the front and sanded it smooth before painting and that seemed to help.

Comment

It will definately be a tight fit on the seat so if it seems like your constantly pushing down on the cowl to make it fit when you initially put on dont worry.

Comment

i am having a very tough time as well...

good grief.

jC

Comment

Originally posted by jcoria
                    i just got mine in the mail today...it has the tabs on it, but it was used...still not painted so bascially new..got it off the for sale thread

i am anxious to get it on there and then painted.

JC
                    It's better to paint it before you mount it. It's easier to paint that way. You won't have to mask out your seat.

Comment

i got mine second hand.but all da hardware was new n it was never on a bike.it took me about twenty minutes to get it where i wanted it. i too was push'n it on the seat kind'a hard before i clamped it into place.and now after it is done,i have to give it a lil push downward to get da seat to lock in place.
                      << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                      KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

are there any pics from different directions ( left, right, top and back)showing where the cawl is sitting on other bikes. hope to be getting my cawl in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

www.braada.com has about 80 pics of so..not real closeups but you can the jist of it alittle.. here's where mine sits if this helps. In that pic the cowl was sitting just a slight bit too far back on the seat but other than that its all good.

Comment

yeah i looked at them but come close ups would be great

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                              are there any pics from different directions ( left, right, top and back)showing where the cawl is sitting on other bikes. hope to be getting my cawl in the next couple of weeks.
                              Here's a few from my install.

Remember there WILL be a gap at the rear of the seat.
                              Just make it flush at the bottom edge of the seat and you'll
                              be fine.
                              Darren Drennan
                              Alexander, Arkansas
                              06 Katana 750

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Katana_Riders/

Comment

Working...
                              X