X

how do you get dents out of gas tank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get dents out of gas tank?

I am pulling my cams and I had the gas tank turned 90 degrees and it fell off. Now I have a dent in the front of the tank. How hard is it to get the dent out? Ideas??????
    Is Effingham a swear word?

try one of these I borrowed one from a friend and it actually worked.
    PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
    The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

see if there are any paintless dent removal companies in your area, they can do wonders. try this.

Dent Wizard specializes in high-quality SMART repairs for vehicles. Contact us to learn more or to find a location near you. 1-800-DENT-WIZ.

Comment

I have never seen Dent Wizard work on a motorcycle, but I have seen them do great work on cars. My boss had four or five decent dings repaired for $150. They fixed in the parking lot at work. It would be a good idea to give them a call. BTW is the paint damaged?

Comment

ah if you have a small plunger it works lol or the dink king would be the best way to do it ...see if you can stick you hand in there and push it out somtimes it works i did that with a fender of a car one time ..i almost shat my self

Comment

I thought it said dink king
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Bondo, paint, and elbow grease.

I would think it would depend on the size of the dent and the location as to weather they could pull it or not. That steel that the tank is made of is pretty strong.

Good luck!

And hey, hows about some pics?????
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

The dent is about the size of an average fist. Painted is chipped off in that area too. Then the tanks is also scraped up too on top. I was bumbed when it happened. I bough the bike used. The bike was dropped, like driveway kind, on both sides and I was getting ready to buy paint and fix the mild cosmetic damage on both sides, but now the tank is messed up. Arghh. I will hit the tank with paint so it does not rust and maybe let it sit till summer when I have more time.

Maybe I will just spray paint the bike black and put a skull and cross bones on it. A box of marbles to lay in front of the marching bands on the homecoming parade would be a good idea.

Comment

You could prolly find a decent tank on ebay, repaint it, then sell your dented one on on ebay.

I know when I look for parts, I look for the ones that may need a little bit of touching up just to get a cheaper price. Someone out there may be able to fix it, or fill it, and use it like new!
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                    Bondo, paint, and elbow grease.

I would think it would depend on the size of the dent and the location as to weather they could pull it or not. That steel that the tank is made of is pretty strong.
                    Ditto.

Normal home method is:

If the tank isn't compromised, simply sand, bondo to fill, and repaint. As long as it looks right from the outside, the change in shape normally won't affect it.

Repair Shop method (esp. for old bikes where parts aren't available):

Weld round stock onto the tank (think nails), then use them to pull the tank out as much as possible (with or without a dent puller). Grind off, bondo to fill and repaint.

There's a few places that will cut a tank in half, reshape it and reweld it shut, but for that price you can get a tank from eBay or a junk yard (and possibly even new from the dealer!).

There's no good way to push it out from the inside.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      You could prolly find a decent tank on ebay, repaint it, then sell your dented one on on ebay.

I know when I look for parts, I look for the ones that may need a little bit of touching up just to get a cheaper price. Someone out there may be able to fix it, or fill it, and use it like new!
                      No on the skull and cross bones theme?

I was thinking of just buying another tank off ebay too.

Comment

Maybe a Cow Skull.... But not a regular Pirate skull......
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

lol i was thinking animal house and your goin Tejas

Comment

Cyber and Lou told you the right way to go about it.
                            For Lou's sake of insanity, Duct tape is the best way or a large bandaid. ROFLMAO!
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Or fur ! Dat wud be pimp , yo !
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X