Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Am I attempting to adjust the preload correctly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I attempting to adjust the preload correctly?

Working on adjusting the suspension for my weight (280-300) on my '99 750. I've got racetech 1.0kg/mm front springs on the way, and I'm trying to adjust the rear preload.

I've got a couple spanners that came with my Vulcan 900, that adjust with the 5-step cam-type adjuster, and I was using them to attempt this. The problem is, I actually bent the tooth before moving the damn locknut! So, am I doing this right? There appears to be 2 nuts to deal with, a locknut on top that turns counterclockwise to loosen (viewing from top), and then a nut under it that I then need to turn clockwise to increase preload, yes?

If that's correct, I fear the adjusters are stuck, because I put all I could into trying that adjustment, and all I got was bent spanners. Is the actual tool beefier? Do I need a 3 foot cheater bar? The whole bike was already moving from the force I was putting on it.

It was on the centre stand, so load shouldn't be an issue... Any ideas?

If I recall correctly, I had to smash that locking ring with a hammer + screwdriver combo to get it going.

Comment

Yeah I gave it a good smashing yesterday (hit my thumb too!) but it looked like I was deforming the lockring, so I stopped. I'm thinking I might go to a suzuki dealership and see if I can borrow a quality spanner wrench and cheater bar.

Comment

do you have the tool kit that came with the bike? I know that one works for my 92, but that doesn't have a locking ring, the gsxr shock I bought for my bike had a locking ring, but the adjuster tool is different, I suspect the post 750 to be the same

Comment

I don't unfortunately, I was using a spanner wrench from my Vulcan 900's manufacturer toolkit.

In the US it seems every hardware store carries spanner wrenches, but the only option I can find here in Canada is a $23 adjustable one at princess auto.

Comment

try penetrating oil to help loosen the nut
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Liquid wrench has been sitting on there for a couple days now. My new fork springs should arrive tomorrow, so I'll take another crack at it soon if I can get the wrench

Comment

Got it! BFH and a long screwdriver. Feels much firmer now. Shock still seems to be in good condition after 40,000km

Comment

Working...
                X