X

Making windshield clear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
    +1 I bought a cheap-o windhshield a couple years ago and it looks like shit now. Next time, Ill probably be trying a hand with OEM.

Hey Buffalo Bill! We're almost neighbors! Took a trip around the thumb last summer, looks like i rode right through your stompin grounds!
    We is a big ride through destination, like just this past Sunday, maybe 500 bikes per hour!
    PS:My windscreen is painted body color, fine with me as it's too low to look through anyway, even at 100mph.
    Last edited by buffalobill; 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Wet sand it. I will come out clear as day.

Comment

well i wet sanded it and it just got even worse. So i will be painting it black today since i dont see through it even when im at full tuck. for me being 6'3 im still seeing over the windscreen anyways.

Originally posted by MyOtherRideisaMR2 View Post
        Wet sand it. I will come out clear as day.
        its a old windscreen that i think has been sitting out in the sun far to long. so this did nothing but make it worse. Maybe i did it wrong but didnt help.

ill use the extra paint to start to paint to bottom fairing. Going to paint the whole thing black soon.
        Last edited by Mohawk918; 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2002 GSX600F

Comment

Yes, I'm 6'4" and figured all that work sanding and polishing was too much. I tried it once on a busted shield as a test, not so easy.
          This is as low as I can tilt my head anyway.
          Last edited by buffalobill; 05-14-2015, 03:40 PM.

Comment

same here. my knees are in my arm pits also.
            2002 GSX600F

Comment

Take your time wet sanding it and it will come clear. I did one for my buddy and it looked like it was brand new. You also need a very high grit sand paper. Anything under 2500 will make it worse, then work a 3500 and finish it off with a 5000 grit.

Comment

Originally posted by MyOtherRideisaMR2 View Post
                Take your time wet sanding it and it will come clear. I did one for my buddy and it looked like it was brand new. You also need a very high grit sand paper. Anything under 2500 will make it worse, then work a 3500 and finish it off with a 5000 grit.
                That sounds about right, but you don't buff it after that?

Comment

how do yall buff it?
                  2002 GSX600F

Comment

I learned the hard way, I had to buff electric guitar finishes, cars and motor bikes too.
                    You need 3-4 levels of buffing compound, and a buffing pad for each compound.
                    Electric drill is ok for small stuff, a buffing grinder for cars.
                    You can use your arm for electric guitars, but your arm will swell up as big as the HULK's.
                    The rest is on the job skill development.

Comment

Sounds like to much for this job. I'd rather just paint it black
                      2002 GSX600F

Comment

So I bought one

OK, I decided to just buy a new windscreen, because it looks mo betta, and more new on me ole bike.
                        I bought one a few years ago for a '93 750 and liked it enough to give it a positive review.
                        PS:they got a dark version too.
                        Last edited by buffalobill; 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X