X

License plate mounting ideas...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate mounting ideas...

The knuckle-head PO got rid of just about everywhere to mount the plate.
    Looks like the last place he had it was hanging off the left side of the swing arm near the chain tensioner.

Does anyone have an idea how to get the plate back under the tail without hacking this poor bike up anymore? Ill take a picture of what I have to work with tonight for reference.
    For now I quickly 3D printed a mount that goes up under the tail but its not sturdy enough with the way its mounted.

Ideas people! I need them!
    -Thanks

Pre or post?

You may need to fabricate something. I modified the stock bracket after carving up the plastic inner fender.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Flat piece of metal, I used stainless, cut to shape of plate plus some for mounting between the remaining fender and the mount at the frame. Bend the new plate mount to fit the proper angle.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Mine has two holes drilled in the chopped shovel, and two zip-ties through the holes latching the plate. Keeps the plate in-line with the trimmed tail (not hanging down ugly style) and it catches all sorts of mud and road debris. I don't really care about the government property.
        - Purplehaze
        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

2x2x1/8" AL angle will probably get you there. Might have it @ Depot...

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
            Pre or post?
            Post. I'm looking for something not too ghetto.

Comment

Pick up some stainless pieces, a door kick plate works (Home Depot or lowes). Cut to shape, bend and mount where you wish. Mine, as is, will never fall off. I use stainless because I only want to do it once and not deal with rust.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

I normally buy a piece of flat aluminum or stainless stock at lowes.

I cut/bend and hole punch to make these, combined with the 4" flexible LED for tag light.

krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I like that. Where were you 4 years ago? Huh, huh, huh? (Johnny Carson RIP)
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Here is a few pictures of my 3D printed mock up.
                    Im not happy with it even painted black im not sure id like it.
                    Might just stick with some aluminum or stainless and call it a day.

Comment

Stainless is stiff enough not to need the triaglulation on the bracket. Simple 90* bend would do it. If you need a nice gauge piece let me know, I have a 4x8 sheet of it. I even thought of diamond plate that would also serve as a plate frame once mounted.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks but I have access to a full metal shop at work so aluminum and stainless is plentiful.

Comment

Working...
                        X