X

headlight lens 98+

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight lens 98+

I tried searching to no avail. is the headlight assembly on the 98 + all one peice? I looked at the fische and it shows it as an assembly. can the lens be replaced? I don't want to buy a new assembly just because the lens is scratched and starting to fog. and if it can be replaced, where can I find a new lens? thanks for any help.

Sorry, molded and glued together as one piece. EBay would be my choice.
    Bike is sold

Comment

thats what I figured. thanks

Comment

Before you go throwing money at new lenses, go down to the largest of your local auto parts stores and look for some lens polishes or restorers. There are compounds to buff them out, to seal up scratches, to remove the yellowing if you have any, etc. You're not the first person in the world to have this issue

You might also want to try Eastwood Automotive's solution:
        Plastic Headlight Restoration Kit and read Wolfgang's AutoGeek Tutorial on Headlight lens restoration

I'm sure there's other tutorials and products out there as well...

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber that is exactly what I was planning to do.

Comment

I had a car lense that was fogging a bit, and drilled a small hole in the bottom to drain liquid out and what not, may want to try that on the kat. If it doesn't work, you can always re-seal it with a dab of silicone.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              I had a car lense that was fogging a bit, and drilled a small hole in the bottom to drain liquid out and what not, may want to try that on the kat. If it doesn't work, you can always re-seal it with a dab of silicone.
              I think he meant the plastics were yellowing, not that there was humidity building up on the inside...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Originally posted by SweetLou
                I think he meant the plastics were yellowing, not that there was humidity building up on the inside...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Gotcha
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

good rubbing compounds works wonders as well

Comment

In order to get to the reflectors/inside lens to polish them you would need to take the unit apart. I tried when mine failed it's MoT due to the dipped beam pointing the wrong way (euro headlight).

It's virtually impossible to prize it apart, you could dremmel/cut it apart and then plastic weld it back together I suppose
                    Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Working...
                    X