X

When putting on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When putting on

hey guys, when putting on my new grips should i cut off all of the plastic (sticking up next to the kill switch) on the throttle grip?
    Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

I did not.

I did shave the ridges off of the throttle tube though. Some folks have had luck lubing with hairspray, which should dry sticky, and set the grip. It didn't work on my throttle side. I ended up using some (very little bit smeared around) silicone type adhesive. And it works great.

Don't forget to take off the bar ends. It makes it much easier.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

i have the grips on, but the throttle grip isnt over the whole plastic. grips on, bar ends are on, but it wont rest against the kill switch because of the two plastic rings
      Matt

Comment

I still have the ring between my kill switch housing and my grip end. If it bugs you, as long as the rubber from the grip doesn't bind against the switch housing, cut it off. I tried it with that part of the plastic still on and decided to leave it that way. Just make sure the grip doesn't rub the housing.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

yeah i guess i will see what i can do
          Matt

Comment

Do you have a Dremel?

I used a razor blade to shave it down. You have to be careful not to crack the tube though. A Dremel tool is easier.
            AMA member # 224227

Comment

razor blades usually work fine.. santa is supposed to be hooking me up with a pair of new grips, and I've heard that hairspray works great too..I used it on a new set of barrel grips on my old yamaha, and it worked great..just do it quickly, as soon as you spray it, put them on so it dries the way you want it too.

Comment

alright, i got them on. i just shaved it down an little with a file.. spray painted the little bit of white plastic visible to black and im done. another day when im bored i will get out my dads dremel and cut it right, but im done for now. thanks for the advice
                Matt

Comment

Good Job, now go buy those tires.
                  AMA member # 224227

Comment

just got home, got my rear tire. decided on a Battlax BT014. almost got some dunlops, but i figured i dont really need any softer tires for the riding im doing (mostly commuting) next week gotta go get the front one switched out.
                    Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X