X

Chrome plastics?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plastics?

I have seen a couple of pictures of bikes where some of the plastic pieces look like chrome. Now I dont know a lot about chroming but I dont think you can chrome plate plastic so how do they do it?

RM

Beekman IS the resident authority!

Comment

if its chrome or CF, he and spedee will know about it.

Comment

you can chrome it. http://www.chromemyplastic.com
        rock
        always working on mods

Comment

Beekman is the authority on it but you sound exactly like I did when I first saw it done. Then I realized I was overlooking the obvious. Sure they can chrome plastics. Think of the dash trim, body trim and radio knobs on older cars. Vehicle manufacturers have been doing it for years
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

You can chrome plastic or you can do metal vapor deposition. The vapor deposition is very common for head lights. It is not as durable as chrome, but in a sealed headlight it is not aq problem. We used to have plastic and fiberglass parts chromed all the time.

Comment

Well I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                You can chrome plastic or you can do metal vapor deposition. The vapor deposition is very common for head lights. It is not as durable as chrome, but in a sealed headlight it is not aq problem. We used to have plastic and fiberglass parts chromed all the time.
                This is the process I used on my lower fairings and rear hugger. It is about as durable as paint which is acceptable to me. It looks as good as chrome. Chroming plastic would have been way too expensive ie. probably about $2000 for my fairings at a place up here in Chromanada. Using the vacuum metallizing process cost about the same as a paint job. As long as it has a good coating of clearcoat it will last for years.
                Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

Originally posted by rockadaous
                  thats pretty sweet, Im gonna bookmark that!

Thanks Rock!!

Comment

anytime. I have yet to use em.
                    rock
                    always working on mods

Comment

Originally posted by BeekMan
                      This is the process I used on my lower fairings and rear hugger. It is about as durable as paint which is acceptable to me. It looks as good as chrome. Chroming plastic would have been way too expensive ie. probably about $2000 for my fairings at a place up here in Chromanada. Using the vacuum metallizing process cost about the same as a paint job. As long as it has a good coating of clearcoat it will last for years.
                      The vapor deposition is a great process. We would chrome our plastics because we usually had a blank check from the customer. I miss those days.

Comment

Working...
                      X