X

plasti dip vs paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasti dip vs paint

I hear a lot of people talking about plasti dipped, so Im really wondering what is the advantage of using it? Why not just paint your bike black? Will plasti dip stick to primer? If so how many coats should be used?

I believe people use Plasti-kote because they can use it on top of paint and then remove it. It requires little to no prep. Just clean the paint and spray. A somewhat temporary or permanent solution. Where paint is completely permanent.
    First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Plastidip gives a sheen you can't match with paint. Its also completely removable. It lays flat, never runs or has lines, so its smoother and cleaner than normal spray paint. It isn't cheap. It actually costs more than normal paint, and isn't very durable on an everyday rider. The fact that you need very little prep and can do it in your driveway makes it very easy. Its dries almost instantly leaving less time for bugs, leaves and dust to settle into it. The texture is awesome. Nearly a velvet feeling. It isn't really "flat" black, its satin black. There is a big difference between the two. You will never mistake Plastidip for spray paint or primer.

On my bike I sprayed it gloss black(with a gun, not a rattle can) but didn't like it. I put the Plastidip over the gloss and it came out fantastic.

Comment

You can lay it over the bike clearcoat? What if you put clear coat over plasti dip what would be the outcome?

Comment

I've never been too much a fan of plasti-dip. but I've never seen it in person maybe it just photographs weird; imho

Comment

Yes, you can lay it over clear coat. You can lay it over any paint finished. If you put normal clear over Plastidip, you get gloss paint. If you lay flat clear over Plastidip you get flat paint. Neither look as good, but both are far more durable.

Comment

plastidip just a latex like substance, think of it like putting on a latex suit. its not paint. you can rip it apart like a twinkie wrapping. and it will rip apart after some time. For example if you spray your gas tank you will rip a hole in it within a few weeks from scratching your jacket or pants on it.
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I plasti-dipped my rx8 instead of paint to cover up faded plastic and to try out things that I might end up painting, but wanted to make sure I liked how it looked first. here's a before and after [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PAB5fRAgNg"]Project Plasti Dip Rx8 + - YouTube[/ame] . I think its worth it cause its cheap and looks good if done right. I messed up my hood but it looks fine from 10+ feet away
                sigpic
                Oh Lord Jesus it's a fire!

Comment

Looks like you did an awesome job

Comment

Originally posted by Jreid843 View Post
                    Looks like you did an awesome job
                    Thank you. After this experience, I'm a big advocate of plasti-dip. (as long as you don't go overboard )
                    sigpic

Comment

You can check out my thread on plasti dip here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131290

I love it. I've had it on a few months with lots of heavy riding and its still holding up great. If you use a neon color make sure to do a couple layers of white plasti dip first. Otherwise it won't pop as bright as it looks on the can. I put on like 7-8 coats. The more coats the better it holds up, IMO! Also, the glossifier makes it way easier to clean off than the regular matte. With the glossifier on there you can wipe down with a cloth.

Also don't do this where it is windy. If you have the wind blowing the paint around it comes out crappy. I made this mistake on my first couple of pieces so now I am going to re-do them properly now that i've learned, maybe I can save you a couple cans.

Also go on light the first couple of coat and let dry like 10 minutes between coats.
                      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

I agree with everything he just said. My rx8 was my first go at it. Learned on what not to do. I also suggest that if you are using painter's tape, that you take the tape off before the plati-dip dries; if you let it dry, the tape will take the plastic off with it!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                          You can check out my thread on plasti dip here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131290

I love it. I've had it on a few months with lots of heavy riding and its still holding up great. If you use a neon color make sure to do a couple layers of white plasti dip first. Otherwise it won't pop as bright as it looks on the can. I put on like 7-8 coats. The more coats the better it holds up, IMO! Also, the glossifier makes it way easier to clean off than the regular matte. With the glossifier on there you can wipe down with a cloth.

Also don't do this where it is windy. If you have the wind blowing the paint around it comes out crappy. I made this mistake on my first couple of pieces so now I am going to re-do them properly now that i've learned, maybe I can save you a couple cans.

Also go on light the first couple of coat and let dry like 10 minutes between coats.
                          Great advice and will check out your thread

Comment

I'm working on matte black on my kat right now. Kind of doing a panel a day. while I am at work. haha. anyway it's turning out good. I wanna do it in white though.
                            99 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by JSMencer View Post
                              I'm working on matte black on my kat right now. Kind of doing a panel a day. while I am at work. haha. anyway it's turning out good. I wanna do it in white though.
                              Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X