X

1991 1100f in for paint

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 1100f in for paint

Still cold outside, have a paint booth I built in the garage /question is whats the minimum temp I can get away with? tried heaters but still have trouble
    getting past 60 deg in paint booth.Also using house of color paints and I sure as heck don't want to screw this up..lol using epoxy primer for bare metal on tank , coat of black then apple candy red & of course automotive clear.
    Attached Files

the black paint flashes at 73.4,,so I guess have to wait for better weather.lol

Comment

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
      the black paint flashes at 73.4,,so I guess have to wait for better weather.lol
      that's kind of a broad statement, isn't it? sounds like something for a rattle can.

To answer your question, it all depends on your reducer. that is the component that decides what the flashpoint is. if you use a quality name brand reducer such as RM, U-Pol, or something along those lines, you can get different reducers that are suited for the painting environment. they are labeled as lo-temp, regular and hi-temp. they mean just what they say...lo-temp is for painting in low temp environments, regular for normal temps, and hi-temp when it is a very warm environment.

personally, I use lo-temp for everything when it comes to smaller parts, even if it is relatively warm. the reason for this is cure time. if it is 75-80 degrees when I paint a fairing with lo-temp reducer, I can actually pick up and handle the part the same day. don't try to paint a car like that, though. you won't be able to run around the car and cover it all fast enough, and you will end up with a lot of "dust" on the surface. it's not really dust...it's clear that has dried in the air before it hit the vehicle.

anyway, you can paint in temps in the mid 40's with lo-temp reducer. you just need to go a bit easy so you don't run it. as for the base...no big deal there. the base dries fast like primer.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
      X