X

cbf exhaust cracked

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbf exhaust cracked

I've been riding with a crack in my cbf exhaust fr a while now nd I wanna cut it short but with the crack in one of the exhaust cutting after the crack would make it to short. Can I patch it from the inside with a cbf piece nd seal it together somehow? Im not about to go buy another exhaust. I know sealing it alone with any kind of resin material won't work.

The term "exhaust" covers the entire system. Is the crack in the slip-on (muffler) or the header. I am assuming that you mean the slip-on (muffler). What is it made of, aluminum or fiber glass?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I think by "cbf" he means its carbon fiber. Hence "using a cbf piece and seal it". You could probably put a thin piece of metal inside and use some type of heat tolerant resin or silicone. I would get some exhaust putty maybe and try that.
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Just fiberglass it, you'll need high temp resin like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-RESIN-...item4845799467
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

its a carbon fiber slip on. and what am i supposed to do with the fiberglass, wrap it around the crack or patch it from the inside? ive heard of the epoxy resin, how would i use that in my case?
          Attached Files

Comment

Chances are the crack is worst on the outside than the inside. IMAO i would disassemble the can, resin the crack with high temp resin but, when a put it back together I would rotate the shell so the crack isn't seen. My can is made of the same carbon fiber type can and the patch is going to show. If you wanted to shorten it, When you disassemble it to repair would be a good time to do it, all in one shot.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by tommydude96 View Post
              its a carbon fiber slip on. and what am i supposed to do with the fiberglass, wrap it around the crack or patch it from the inside? ive heard of the epoxy resin, how would i use that in my case?

Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass are constucted the same way, only the mat material is different.

A Sheet of woven flexable material is impregnated with a resin and allowed to dry in a specific shape. Generally additional layers of resin/mat material are added until the piece is up to the specs one wants.

In othe words... the simplistic way of looking at the creation of your can is... someone took carbon fiber sheet, wiped resin on it, wrapped it around a round form, added more resin and more carbon fiber sheet to thicken it... then allowed that to cure.

Repairs to make it match the rest of the can is possible but would require some skill in working with the resin and carbon fiber. The most likely result is... you just mix up a little resin, and use it to seal the hole. Then as mentioned prior... turn the can so that the repair is hidden.

Search Youtube for vids of people making carbon fiber parts... it will make much more sense seeing them do it.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X