X

OEM Paint on frame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Paint on frame?

Im going to be getting a new frame soon, and lets just say its not pretty... but either way it has a title lol i was just wondering, what kind of paint is on the frame? doesnt seem to be any kind of automotive paint that im aware of. could it be powder coated? I have no clue, but if any of you know, let me know. thanks in advance.

You mean could it be powder coated as in can you powder coat it or did it come that way? It certainly can be powder coated. I doubt it came powder coated, but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

Originally posted by faceshanker12345 View Post
      Im going to be getting a new frame soon, and lets just say its not pretty... but either way it has a title lol i was just wondering, what kind of paint is on the frame? doesnt seem to be any kind of automotive paint that im aware of. could it be powder coated? I have no clue, but if any of you know, let me know. thanks in advance.
      Not powder, but if your getting it painted that is a great way to go.

The paint on the frames is a liquid paint that is applied through an electrostatic dip or spray process. The process means you have thinner layer of paint but bonds better to the metal for a tougher finish. It's a single coat process... no clear or anything like that, but there is a base primer coat applied the same way.

If your not wanting to spend alot of $... I would suggest the VHT brand
      "frame and roll cage" 250degree rated paint is acutally pretty good stuff and comes in a rattle can in various colors. The "gloss black" blends with the OEM frame paint pretty well. Found at most auto stores that carry spray cans.

Krey
      Last edited by Kreylyn; 03-02-2013, 10:31 PM.
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Not powder, but if your getting it painted that is a great way to go.

The paint on the frames is a liquid paint that is applied through an electrostatic dip or spray process. The process means you have thinner layer of paint but bonds better to the metal for a tougher finish. It's a single coat process... no clear or anything like that, but there is a base primer coat applied the same way.

If your not wanting to spend alot of $... I would suggest the VHT brand
        "frame and roll cage" 250degree rated paint is acutally pretty good stuff and comes in a rattle can in various colors. The "gloss black" blends with the OEM frame paint pretty well. Found at most auto stores that carry spray cans.

Krey
        Yet again, the all-mighty Krey answers my incredibly stupid questions with his vast knowledge of Kats. Thanks man.

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

^^^im assuming you mean this stuff right?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          You mean could it be powder coated as in can you powder coat it or did it come that way? It certainly can be powder coated. I doubt it came powder coated, but I'm not 100% sure.
          This might be completely irrelevant to the question, but i just noticed you live in Aurora IL, and i go to Naperville/Aurora almost every weekend. Are you the guy that rides around with a duel headlight Kat? or a Triumph Sprint?

Comment

Yet again, the all-mighty Krey answers my incredibly stupid questions with his vast knowledge of Kats. Thanks man.

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

^^^im assuming you mean this stuff right?

Yep, that's the stuff.

I only know how the paint is done because I used to work in a factory that used e-coat for about 95% of their parts, the remaining 5% was powder coated. I got to work with/around both of those systems while I was there. The product was industrial lighting... so mostly aluminum cast parts, but on occasion steel as well.

The e-coat was actually interesting in that... you have a constant moving "line" with hooks. You hang the parts as the line is moving, and 55 mins later the part comes back painted and dry, but the hook does not take paint. The line would clean the part with a chem dip, primer it, paint it, dry it.... and as long as you could figure out a way to hang the part, it really did not matter the shape.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

oem paint is single stange urethane
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

If your wanting the specific color match...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

This might be completely irrelevant to the question, but i just noticed you live in Aurora IL, and i go to Naperville/Aurora almost every weekend. Are you the guy that rides around with a duel headlight Kat? or a Triumph Sprint?

arsenic doesn't ride anymore. he had a bad accident a few years back, but that's his story to tell, not mine. he's a good guy, don't let his online coarseness at times keep you from going and meeting him if you guys ever decide to try and do so.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                    arsenic doesn't ride anymore. he had a bad accident a few years back, but that's his story to tell, not mine. he's a good guy, don't let his online coarseness at times keep you from going and meeting him if you guys ever decide to try and do so.
                    not to sound like i'm creeping on him, but from what i can see on his posts and etc, he does seem like a nice guy..... when he wants to be. haha but i dont honestly have a problem with him and (i hope) he doesnt really have a problem with me. hes one of the senior kat riders on here so i got lots of respect for him. i plan on buying a few things from his ebay soon and me, being a jew with a wallet that can only be opened with a crowbar, will probably be picking up parts in person as a way to avoid shipping, so i imagine we will meet some day sooner or later.)
                    Last edited by faceshanker12345; 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM. Reason: didnt make sense without periods :D

Comment

not to sound like i'm creeping on him, but from what i can see on his posts and etc, he does seem like a nice guy..... when he wants to be. haha but i dont honestly have a problem with him and (i hope) he doesnt really have a problem with me. hes one of the senior kat riders on here so i got lots of respect for him. i plan on buying a few things from his ebay soon and me, being a jew with a wallet that can only be opened with a crowbar, will probably be picking up parts in person as a way to avoid shipping, so i imagine we will meet some day sooner or later.)
                      Yeah, Ted is correct, I can't ride, or drive. In fact I very rarely leave my house. If you want to buy something from me, just send me a PM. Don't just randomly buy it on eBay. The final value fee sucks donkey balls, I try to avoid that if I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X