X

raising the tail?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising the tail?

Anyone raise the tail on the pre kats? Ive swapped out the rear shock for an R6 rear shock which dropped the rear 3/4" so I lowered the front about 3/4" but its still not the right look. I like the raised tails on the newer sport bikes, knowing mine would never be like that it still raises the question... why not?! lol

Perhaps modifying the upper rear shock mount lower would push the tail up or cut the rear tail support frame and weld it on up higher? Now the plastics wouldnt fit probably correctly. But would raising the rear compromise the handling of the bike?
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Yes I have raised the tail a couple ways. Taller shock worked on an adjustable shock mount. By far the best way I have done it so far is to chop the tail where it meet the frame, and re-weld it at an angle of your choosing.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Depends on the angle you're trying to get. If you want a big rise I would chop and re weld like cintidude04 said.
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

If you can deal with a taller seat... then I suggest a slightly modified Bandit 12 Shock.

It will raise the tail light by almost 2" from stock height,.... so for your bike it would go up by nearly 3" after swapping out the r6 shock. That's at the tail light, not the seat height. Seat height still stays under 31".

But.. that won't help clearance under the tail much if your wanting that more open under tail look like the modern SS bikes have. The primary reason for that is because the blockage is the lower sub-frame at the middle of the bike. No matter how much you raise the tail... that is still going to be there. If you want that changed, I would suggest you cut and re-weld/relocate the lower sub-frame rail at a higher angle... cut the "lattice" lower sections or maybe even a little higher off of the tail fairings, and you would have a much higher looking tail with out changing the angle of the actual top rail at all.

Found a pic from a prior discussion about this type of mod.

In this pic, the lower sub-frame rail has already been cut off. You can see the remnants of it at the foot peg bracket. The green line designates the possible location of the new sub-frame rail. Keep in mind that some bending would be needed for that new rail to match the contours of the tail fairings if you wanted to use them still. Not hard to do, just don't forget and weld it all up only to find it's in the way of the plastics now.

Krey
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I think Im alittle heavy for the bandit shock (200lbs with gear minimum) and the R6 shock is brand spanking new! I paid good money for a never used shock lol. Ugh.

Makes sense about the rear lower subframe.

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Yes I have raised the tail a couple ways. Taller shock worked on an adjustable shock mount. By far the best way I have done it so far is to chop the tail where it meet the frame, and re-weld it at an angle of your choosing.
          you got any more info on the adjustable shock mount?
          Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Why not get the bike sprung for your weight? rebuild the shock and get a new spring, T-mod used to do it you can try pming him or call race tech. http://racetech.com you can get the rise you want and better handling/ riding.
            2005 Gsx600f- My baby
            1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
            Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
              I think Im alittle heavy for the bandit shock (200lbs with gear minimum) and the R6 shock is brand spanking new! I paid good money for a never used shock lol. Ugh.

Makes sense about the rear lower subframe.
              The b12 shock needs modified anyways to shim it slightly. This is due to the extra length it will hit the lower cushion at full extension. At that point you put on a spring that fits the weight.

My current shock is a modified b12 shimmed and re-sprung for my weight at 200bls by Tmod. I'm extremely pleased with it.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm prob going to skip the bandit shock and just use wat I got.

Wat info do u guys have on the adjustable shock mount!?

Comment

On the pre's you cant really lengthen/shorten the dog bones as they are curved but shorter ones would allow me to raise it 1.5" roughly If I was to make them 3/8" shorter.

Can a post 98+ dog bone pivot be swapped into the a pre? this would push the dog bones out to use a straight style like the posts. But Im not sure if the stock pre swing arm will allow it...

Comment

Adjustable shock mount on a kat is a completely custom fab job. If I didnt work so damn much I would have at least finished my mount by now.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                      Adjustable shock mount on a kat is a completely custom fab job. If I didnt work so damn much I would have at least finished my mount by now.
                      ok, how does it work and what does/should it look like? are you referring to the top shock mount? since the bottom bolts to the pivot. easiest would be the dog bones but on the pre that is pretty d@mn hard since they arent straight. Putting the 98+ pivot in would push the mounting out and maybe allow a straighter dog bone which i could fab myself in a day.

any pics or links to the adjustable shock mount you were talking about?

Comment

Working...
                      X