X

Info for True Flat Black

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info for True Flat Black

I just finished my friends CBR600 paint job. He wanted the flat black finish so we got out the Grey Primer and Flat Black Dupli-Color rattle cans and went to work. It turned out really good. The only problem we ran into was that the flat black paint smudges easy and shows fingerprints like they glow in the dark. As i'm sure those of you with Flat Black Kats have found as well. All of the Clear-Coats on the market are gloss and the satin finish paints and laquers are nice, but not if you want that 'Totally Stealth' Flat Black finish.
    Now, anyone whos ever messed with military models has found this same problem with their flat painted surfaces as well......unless they give them a coat of Testors DULLCOAT!!!! This laquer was specifically made to coat a flat painted surface and dries to a smooth, non-marred finish.
    We went down to the local Hobbytown USA and picked up a couple of quarts of this stuff and headed home. It isn't available in a spray can yet, so we got out the air-brush, thinned down the laquer and sprayed on two coats. It turned out AWESOME!!!! It shruggs off water, oil, fingerprints and grime just like the clearcoats we all know and love on our gloss coated bikes. If anyone is thinking of Flat coating their Kat, its well worth the time to try this out. Good luck!!!

Once he takes some pictures i'll be sure and post them.
    You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Thanks for the info, I might look into that if I re-finish my Kat before the Rally.
    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

*Ahem*
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

PPG makes two versions of Flat Clear. The first one is DCC35104 and it is a regular clear with a gloss killer. It runs about $35 for a pint and it sucks big time cause it will never give a uniform finish. For the second one I do not have the product number but PPG has a separate cut sheet showing the sample finishes and it comes in satin and flat and it's around $90 for a pint but it does the job perfect if you are dishing out the cash. I think it's their DBU product.
        So mush life, so much time .

Comment

Forgot to ask.

How long would that Testors product last outside? It's made for little plastic models so why would they go to the extremes to tested to se if it is durable.

Comment

Just like any laquer, it's designed to take the punishment. When you consider that I have models that I built from 1984 - 1988 and the paint still looks like it did when I painted them, i'd say it last pretty good. On the can it says that its designed to keep out UV light and moisture so it sounds like it'll do what we want.

Comment

If it works and it lasts, I'm game. Would like to see some pics if possible.

That other "$90" clear is for a quart of PPG's - DCU 2060 - Flexed "N" Flat Clear. Page P-217 in PPG book.

Take Care and Happy New Year !!!

Comment

This is the only pic I have so far, but you can tell just how 'flat' the laquer makes it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Can't see anything on your last pic.

Comment

Working...
                  X