Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

considering going franken-kat on my pre.. need ideas.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering going franken-kat on my pre.. need ideas.

so, my latest crazy idea has been to re-fair the bike with something wider in profile around the windscreen area for a different headlight/upper fairing/windscreen setup... but there's not really a lot of specifics out there.

I was looking at possibly getting a Bandit upper fairing set and trying that out, but not sure how much wider it'd be.

Does anyone have any experience fitting other bodies to the kat or widening its fairings?

I want to tailor the aerodynamics of the bike for my comfort in a way that simply replacing the windscreen has not done and maybe get a headlight while I'm at it, and hope to have the bike look as good as it did before significantly modifying its exterior.

I looked into all the various styles of fighter headlights and universals and nothing really suits me.

Suggestions?
    Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
    Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
    2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

I'm really not a qualified mechanic by any means but if you want to read through my build thread below, I'm working on exactly what your talking about.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking in slightly different terms but I like where you were going with your build.
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

fzr600 upper

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
          fzr600 upper

AHA

do want!

now there's just the question of how to make it work with the rest of the fairings...

Comment

not gonna make the kat plastic work.. i have one side panel and its a no go.. it would probably be easier to do the fzr side plastic..
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Search frankenkat on google....a very talented man has done exactly this useing rf900 uppers and plastic welded the mat lowers to it. It's got a headlamp setup similar to a education 999 vertically stacked. If I wasn't on my tablet i'd link you.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

googled the RF900 - that's sort of the look I'm going for, so that's not a bad idea...

Comment

well apparently Mat took his site down, but some of his pics can still be seen.

Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Ive always liked his set up

Comment

That thing looks amazing
                      ----USMC combat vet----
                      07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

I can see how he did it a lot more clearly now and where it differentiates then. Looks like I just need to get my hands on some RF uppers and a windscreen.

Comment

saw a upper cowl on flebay.. 250 + shipping... side panels were in the 250-350 range, each... not many rf's around these days...
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

ouch- I think this project may end up working out with what i can find relatively inexpensively with the right shape to it.

Comment

lots of fzr stuff.. you might even get lucky and find 1st or 2nd gen gsxr stuff that you could work with cheap.
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X