X

Streetfighter Conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streetfighter Conversion

So I've decided that my bike looks much better (not so fat) with the front fairings off. I like the look so much that I want to go for a full on streetfighter conversion. However I have two important issues.

1. What can I do about the headlight? Am I likely to find a headlight at a junkyard that will come with fork mounts? How much should I pay for it?

2. I want to keep the speedo and the tach. What are my options for mounting them?

Plenty of threads on the subject. My answer.. make it yours, not what someone else tells you it should be.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

And then I discovered the streetfighter section on the forum. And it was good.

Incidentally, a google search for "streetfighter gauges" lead me to your post on KR where you directed someone else to the streetfighter section. Funny how that went

Comment

Behold the amazing GOOGLE! yay!
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

I am almost finished doing what your doing now mykat, its a pain in the *** but eventually you can find everything you need. If it helps, this is what I had to buy to get my Kat on the road.

1. Headlight from ebay, old Kawasaki 7" but will still work.
          2. Headlight clamps, 41mm which are more expensive than most but the only ones that will work.
          3. Gauges that I got were from an 89 Kat, off ebay for $20. The stock gauges on my 9 are in a one piece unit and did not look like they would fit and look good so I tried different gauges, the Pod style ones I have now will work great after some wiring.
          4. I took the back fender off and re attached the license plate bracket which was easy and cost about $10. There is a link on here from a guy who did a "how to" and even I could do it.

Other than the headlight and gauges you should be good if the bike is mechanically sound. The hardest part for me was finding the parts and waiting on delivery times. There are some good parts out there on ebay.

If you have any questions let me know, I am still learning but a "friend" of mine crashed my bike and I had to fighter it as I can't afford new fairings, so I put this whole thing together for around $200.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I still have to figure out how I'm going to attach the gauges to the bike. I'm guessing I can use another pair of headlight clamps to mount them above the headlight, but I'll have to figure that out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I still have to figure out how I'm going to attach the gauges to the bike. I'm guessing I can use another pair of headlight clamps to mount them above the headlight, but I'll have to figure that out soon.
              I am literally one step ahead of you now, a friend is helping me fab a bracket, I am still learning about Bikes in general so being helped a lot along the way. What year is your bike?

for the gauges I got that were from an 89 Kat my friend took the guage bracket, cut it with a saw and bent it into a two gauge bracket that fits just underneath the front handlebar mount.

It took me forever to figure out how to do it.

Comment

Mine is a '93 750. I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, but I've never fabricated anything in my life, and what's worse my garage is an hour and a half away in Houston.

So the bracket is going to be clipped onto the forks?

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
                  Mine is a '93 750. I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, but I've never fabricated anything in my life, and what's worse my garage is an hour and a half away in Houston.

So the bracket is going to be clipped onto the forks?
                  No the bracket is going to be attached just underneath the top bridge of the forks where your handlebar's are clipped on, also where your key lock for the ignition is. I can't think what it is called off the top of my head. Will send a picture when I do mine by this weekend.

Comment

Cool I'll be watching.

Comment

Working...
                    X