No announcement yet.
X

Paint Sugestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local bodyshop quoted me $400 to paint it. That's with me doing the removal of the fairings and tank and carrying it up there to them. I'm going with a straight white though so that's a pretty low cost to them I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderfoot1978 View Post
      Local bodyshop quoted me $400 to paint it. That's with me doing the removal of the fairings and tank and carrying it up there to them. I'm going with a straight white though so that's a pretty low cost to them I guess.
      Sounds pretty cheap price to me. See how many hours they put in wet sanding. I bet an hour total tops. White is the most difficult and time consuming labor intensive color to paint. It shows every flaw looked over in prepping

Comment

Originally posted by chrisford View Post
        Sounds pretty cheap price to me. See how many hours they put in wet sanding. I bet an hour total tops. White is the most difficult and time consuming labor intensive color to paint. It shows every flaw looked over in prepping
        That's what I figured. I had heard that white was hard to paint due to the same things you said. I thought about just trying to rattle can a glossy black on it myself and seeing how that turns out. I really would like to go with white but I'm pretty sure I'll make a mess out of it the first go round.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderfoot1978 View Post
          That's what I figured. I had heard that white was hard to paint due to the same things you said. I thought about just trying to rattle can a glossy black on it myself and seeing how that turns out. I really would like to go with white but I'm pretty sure I'll make a mess out of it the first go round.
          If you take your time you would be suprised at what you can do with rattle cans. If you dont rush and properly sand and prep your pieces they will come out good. You may have to invest 8 hours sanding to one hour spraying. Its the prep that give a paint job quality. Look at my post on page 3 of this thread it tells some good brand aerosols to use. But seriously if you dont want to go all out for a top notch paint job, I would seriously use some Gloss black Krylon Fusion(or gloss white if you wanted white). If you wetsand your pieces nicely, you would be surprised how nice that stuff looks if you spray it right. Just dont use it on your gas tank, you need a 2 part urethane clear that holds up to gas for that. (SprayMax 2k (2 part with hardener) clear is awesome, just like a proffesional mixed clear in a an aerosol and 18 bucks a can
          Last edited by chrisford; 07-08-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the gas tank clear. I'll have to pick up a spare can for that part.

Comment

Working...
            X