Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

After a long winter im about done finally!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a long winter im about done finally!!

First off

Yes I am bragging in this tread I know im proud of this and it cost me good money plus me and my dad did all the work but the powdercoating.

So this is from the day i picked it up from a local stripper ( no really she was ) i had just sold my ninja 250 and picked this one up and still had money left

I rode it that way from september untill i pussed out mid to late nov

then came the long process of taking everything apart sanding everything down the plastics where in good shape exept a couple of small spots on the fairings where it was dropped

note the chrome wheels that where peeling

all primed 2 heavy coats

all wetsanded with 2000 grit and painted but not cleared yet the color is ford grabber blue 3 coats

ok here comes the change up i wanted it diffrent but after seeing the blue alone i loved it so here is roughly how it was going to look

and cleared with 4 coats wetsanded with 3000 grit then buffed with rubbing compound then polishing compound then glazed this all took about 15 hours total ( sanding and buffing)

reassembly!!!!

note the powdercoated black wheels now

rolled outside all i need is the new exhaust to show up and some mirrors

i can finally see the end when it was torn down i put in a new air filter sparkplugs set the valve lash and had the carbs cleaned flushed brake fluid repacked wheel bearings cleaned and lubed chain and took off the centerstand and a jet kit installed as well as a set of progrips and a new set of michelin tires
    Last edited by blackonblacksvt03; 02-21-2012, 12:47 AM.

Nice work and a cool color choice. There are a lot of pieces to these bikes, and its labor intensive to say the least to do a full paint job. A piece of advise though that might save you some time next time, there's no need to wetsand the base before spraying the clear. The clear coat fills in any orange peel in the base coat, so all you really have to do is wetsand the clear to achieve a glassy finish. I've done this stuff every day for years, and Ive tried every method at some point or another lol. Looks like your Dad can lay a slick paint job down
    Last edited by Mrclean81; 02-21-2012, 12:58 AM.
    If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

no sanding done to the basecoat pops knows his way around a gun the only bad part is because we have no booth and the shop is not the cleanest around it has a small amount of dirt in it but what can i say overall it still looks sick

Comment

I gotcha..must have read that wrong.
        If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

All's i can say it it looks Schweet! Quite the change from "stripper pink"

Comment

Nice job!! I really like that shade of blue.

Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Nicely done.
              Two questions, though. 1. Why would you want to remove the centerstand? It's a terrific help for maintenance, especially if you have any trouble on the road. 2. What was wrong with the exhaust? That Yoshi looks like it's in terrific shape.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

wow thats a cool color grats let the summer begin !
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Nice job. Looks really good. And I also agree with the center stand, put it back on, it's a blessing to it.
                  -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                  sigpic

Comment

great job, even if the color makes me want to puke. don't take that personally, though....I just hate blue in pretty much any shade it comes in, unless it is so dark that I mistake it for black

I really wish I could "like" blue, so that when someone like yourself puts great effort into a project like this and the results turn out great, I can say. "wow, nice job", instead of feeling like saying something like "it would be perfect if you hadn't chosen blue". I am not sure when I started hating blue. I think it had something to do with either the Smurfs or the Blue Meanies from the Yellow Submarine movie with the Beatles. it's so bad that if I meet someone with a blue bike like that, I probably couldn't resist asking which smurf you bought it from.

but hey....it is a definite improvement over the pink.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      Nicely done.
                      Two questions, though. 1. Why would you want to remove the centerstand? It's a terrific help for maintenance, especially if you have any trouble on the road. 2. What was wrong with the exhaust? That Yoshi looks like it's in terrific shape.
                      An interesting blue....think i've seen similar on a replica SS bike with lots of decals.

Based on the reflection, the pipe looks dented to me. up near the hanger.

Mojoe, does a purple-blue pass? LOL...
                      2004 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by chrisx2 View Post

Mojoe, does a purple-blue pass? LOL...
                        I like purple, so as long as I see it as more purple than blue, yes, it passes

I don't really know why I am so critical of blue. I won't even wear blue, aside from jeans. for some reason jeans don't bother me. maybe that is because I like jeans, and jeans are just blue cuz that is the way it is. I also like a nice blue sky, but always felt the world would be a much more beautiful place if it was red

Comment

true the pipe is beat up kinda bad that and it would be the only polished part of the bike so it had to go and i like blue i have owned about every color of car other than blue so i was overdue. That and the first mustang we got in off transport was the same blue and i fell in love with it. I took the centerstand off because it looks bad that and im never farther than 15 miles from home if i do ride farther i will put it back on before i go that and i have a race stand for chain adjusting

more complete pics coming in a couple days exhaust came in today and mirrors later in the week
                          Last edited by blackonblacksvt03; 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

rode her some today it was 58 degrees tops but 25 mph winds and 40 gusts kinda sucked mainly in town plus my buddy just got his buell yesterday (07 xb9r) and after a couple hours working on it last night btw dont try to start one if its under 30 they foul out plugs, some semi final pics i think im going to order some katana decals maybe idk

Comment

looks good...even for blue. from what I can see from those photos, it looks like you did a really good job with the prep work. it looks nice and smooth, and judging from what reflections I can see, it isn't full of orange peel or anything like that. it appears that you nailed it. :

Comment

Working...
                              X