X

dual headlights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fitron View Post
    I thought "true" HID systems don't have "bulbs", and last quite a bit longer than regular filament-type bulbs?
    So where do you think the light comes from? Hahaha.

And just an FYI, without projectors you don't have high intensity lighting, you just have different colored headlights...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Maybe hes thinking about the new LED headlights.Technically they are a circuit encapsulated in plastic. Not a tradition 'bulb'.
      Last edited by adam731432; 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        ...without projectors you don't have high intensity lighting, you just have different colored headlights...
        Scotty, I know you know this. We've agreed on this for a while, but just to avoid confusion on a newby's behalf, let me point out that that's not quite true.

The light from an HID bulb is higher intensity than similar wattage Halogen or even Krypton bulbs produce. The problem (as we've discussed frequently) is that the light from an HID bulb is not focused properly by a reflector designed for a filament-type Halogen bulb. You need a different shaped reflector as well as a lens to avoid scattering that high-intensity light all over the place and, while it may seem fine to scatter the light energy since you have more of it, it's not a good idea to blind incoming traffic. Something about not wanting them to hit you...

The color comes from the design of your HID bulb. You buy a bulb that produces anything from a yellowish light that resembles what you get from a Halogen bulb to a slightly bluish white light that resembles the visible portion of sunlight to a deep purple hue that the human eye can't use very well but some people think looks cool. The color is described in degrees Kelvin. (One degree difference on the Kelvin scale is the same as one degree difference in Celsius but 0 degrees Kelvin is the energy level at which atoms stop moving.) 4,000K is that yellowish light, 6,000K is bright white light with just a touch of blue and 12,000K is purple.

If you just throw an HID bulb (at your favorite color-temperature) in a Halogen headlight housing you get, as Scotty put it, "different colored headlights" that blind other drivers. That's illegal in the US, by the way precisely because it does blind other drivers and is therefore creating a dangerous traffic situation. Some cops have been known to ticket drivers for this and some jurisdictions will even impound your vehicle. If you do the retrofit properly, using an HID projector it's still not technically legal but it's unlikely that any cop is going to say anything about it since you're not creating a hazard.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

So where do you think the light comes from? Hahaha.

And just an FYI, without projectors you don't have high intensity lighting, you just have different colored headlights...
          gonna have to disagree with you there, with my current projector setup I feel like my factory light housing threw more light, more effectively. This is using the same hid ballast and same color temp bulbs.
          Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
          Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
          2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Originally posted by black&blue View Post
            gonna have to disagree with you there, with my current projector setup I feel like my factory light housing threw more light, more effectively. This is using the same hid ballast and same color temp bulbs.
            That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.
              no, it depends on the quality of the optics used in conjunction with the HID setup - ironically some of the projector headlights out there actually net a reduction in light output due to reflector design. I tested three different projector designs and it is generally dimmer with how it's throwing the light in the center ahead of me as opposed to the original reflector.

Depending on the projector used, the light output may actually be dimmer than the OE reflector assembly.

regrettably, I haven't had many of the high quality ones from manufacturers like Stanley come through my hands in a while.

There are lots and lots of cheap projectors and HID components out there, but the quality stuff is spendy, and that's where the decent lighting comes into play.
              Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
              Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
              2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Has anyone tried swapping to a post 98 dual headlight and adding the front fairing headlight trim? Just curious about fitment.
                its raining out back in your cage!!

Comment

Not going to work, totally wrong shape. I wonder who would give it a try though.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

Comment

Oh man, just fitting the gauge panel and surround to the Pre was a major pain in the arse for Fred's bike. I did not have the right fabrication tools need for that job like I would have wanted.

None of the pre/post parts are going to match up in size/shape. The Post kat frame is even longer, so ... it wouldn't be an easy swap around. You might as well pick an entirely different bike setup that you like the best, as they would be of equal difficulty to do the same thing.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just looking for an off season project, ive spent the last year building a cb cafe for one brother in law, and turning an 85 suzuki madura 1200 into a bobber for the other, kind of wanting to do something to my own for once ya know

Comment

I'd like to see if anyone is willing to give it a try, it's going to be a tough mod.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

early gsxr lights fit, 2000 GSXR lights can be made to fit, major pain in the Baja but, it can be done. There is another one too I think it's from an early Yamaha. FZ.

<<<<<< MODDED GIXXER LIGHT IN A KAT.
                            Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-16-2016, 09:56 PM.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I think im just going to make a silicone mold of my stock headlight, then make xenon projector mock ups out of rubber to place in the mold to take up space, once thats done its just a matter of filling it up with liquid plastic and waiting for my new mount to dry, hope it works and if not im only out a little time and effort

Comment

Working...
                              X