X

Custom paint vs Resale & you !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom paint vs Resale & you !

Since your here why don't you give your opinion ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and not everyone will like what you do, but whats your thoughts on the resale value after you slap a few coats in it ?

Would you buy a bike that doesn't look like everyone else's ?

In my opinion, a really nice custom job may make me willing to pay a little more (not a lot though). But if i think it's fugly then the value drops (at least in terms of willingness to buy it). Overall I don't think that the difference is huge, definitely not close to what you would be paying for one (unless it is a DIY).

Comment

It's subjective to the paint, but I think generally it's considered that the best resale value is good-condition stock, rather than a fancy overcoat.
      Apart from anything else, there's always the question of "What's wrong with it?" when you look at a bike for sale that someone's sprayed over.. "What's it hiding?" is another.
      Now if it's a really fancy bit of airbrushing and looks properly good, then yeah it's gonna perhaps draw a little more money than not, but remember that then makes a more limited market that will be interested in buying...

Comment

Good points...lets add more understanding to the inquiry...

Assuming nothing mechanically wrong with the bike and not trying to 'hide' drops....

I tend to notice other bike makers (mainly american) 'pre' customize their stock bikes (cosmetically/paint wise) which makes it appear original-one of a kind vs our Japanese imports which seem to ship the 'make of the year', all look-a-likes to the same region.

But then you'll see Joe blow who bought the Euro model of x (not for any mechanical or feature difference)...but because his is different cosmetically.

Also you see posts for used bikes - original paint...original stickers.....(Please comment why that matters if it matters to you)

I guess long story short...Do u care if ur bike looks like (not perform like) every other bike made that yr in ur region and was it your consideration when buying ?
        Last edited by Saso; 07-15-2011, 04:14 AM.

Comment

I like a different or unique look, but thats one reason I fightered mine. However I won't pay extra for a used unique bike and I wouldn't chArge someone extra for mine if I sold it because it is a one of a kind fighter. Like Wolfe said, if there was obviously money an love put into the work then yes it may pull in a little more. Just not from me.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by Saso View Post
            I guess long story short...Do u care if ur bike looks like (not perform like) every other bike made that yr in ur region and was it your consideration when buying ?
            BAH, I'm nearly finished a complete rebuild/redesign/reimagining of my bike that includes a paint job and re-badging.. But I'll never sell it. To do so would be to only get a fraction of the cost and time back from building this girl up again anyway, but I made it how I want and not like anyone else's.

Also of note: I don't recognise this idea of buying a foreign bike from America because it's got different paintwork to the ones sold on the UK market as a 'thing' here, aside presumably from people who collect rare machines and restore them.

Comment

From what I've seen in my area, it seems like a lot of the people who are selling bikes that have 'custom paint' have it because the stock paint is a nice skid mark on some road. The people who chose to have custom paint done because they wanted custom paint, are less likely to be selling their bike.

I look for stock paint. If the paint is not stock, I would want to see pictures of the process showing that the bike was intact before being repanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Saso View Post
                Assuming nothing mechanically wrong with the bike and not trying to 'hide' drops....
                And 'assuming', yes.. But that's not always the way a buyer would look at it even if it's true

Comment

well most people will buy a vehicle based on cosmetic condition rather than mechanical condition. but custom bikes would give you a more limited market in my opinion. if i painted the entire bike i would expect a little more money for the bike but that's just me new paint is a selling point

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                    It's subjective to the paint....
                    Totally agree... once you customize it.. it's to your taste and not necessarily what someone else would do and/or buy... the HD/custom build crowd are a perfect example, you see the bikes for sale and the ad reads 'total custom, 50k invested, 25k obo'. I had a friend buy a Sporty and he added almost 10k in 'stuff' to it and was crushed when he only got 4800 for it.
                    The guys the build the bobbers and cafe bike from the 30yo cb550's are the same way.. just because you stripped it down and painted flat black doesn't mean its worth 5500$, it's still a 30yo cb550 that you picked up for 500$ or less.

I personally wouldn't buy someone elses work.

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                    Apart from anything else, there's always the question of "What's wrong with it?" when you look at a bike for sale that someone's sprayed over.. "What's it hiding?" is another
                    I think this holds pretty true with a segment the sport bike world, I see one for sale.. the ad says 'new paint' I think, hmmm how bad did he crash it? some are more obvious to pick out.. the beginning of the ad is 'new custom paint' and at the end of the ad you see 'salvage title'.

Let the buyer beware..
                    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Custom paint, custom bar ends, slip on exhaust, new brake lever. Lol
                      Last edited by zzzz1486; 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X