X

wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheels

i want to make my stock alloy wheels black. is that something i can do myself with some ease, or it that a shops job, maybe just get it coated? if so how much would it generally run for both wheels to get them pro. done?
    Matt

The Difference Between Ordinary And Extraordinary Is That Little Extra

(A) You can do it yourself. I'd suggest considering POR-15 Hardnose paints, which is a viable alternative to powdercoating for such an application.

(B) The cost of having a shop do it is directly dependent on the amount of prep work done before the shop gets it, and the cost of the coating & method of application, plus level of post-application handling and clean-up required. I.e. - whether the paint costs them $40/quart or $150/quart, they're going to pass that on to you. If it needs to be acid-dipped or sandblasted first, the cost of that will also be passed on to you. Powdercoating costs more than spraying paint, but is normally a far harder coating and usually has better results because the application method gives a perfectly uniform coverage.

(C) Prices vary highly depending on location. An area that just has to filter the air (say southern Arizona) is going to have less overhead than a place that has to heat or cool, dehumidify and filter the air. Areas with high rents will charge more than places with low rent (i.e. - usually cost more in greater NYC than in rural PA). Etc.

(D) Shipping costs will play into it if you have to send them off.

All that said, I doubt if you're going to find a concrete answer to what it will cost you without getting written quotes.

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hmm.. well i wouldnt mind buying new wheels all together, but i couldnt find just normal black wheels for less that $1,300 a pair. just looking at the wrong sites or what? dont need mag or anything, just black
      Matt

Comment

Wrong ballpark. Those kind of prices are for custom-designed wheels, or special light-weight materials (such as magnesium or carbon fiber). The lightweight materials would put a huge improvement on handling/braking/acceleration, but $1300's overkill (you'd get a bigger improvement by selling your bike, adding $1300 to what you get and buying a faster bike).

If you were to order brand new Suzuki replacment wheels for a 2003 or later Kat 600 from RonAyers, the rear wheel runs $379 and the front runs $327 (these are the stock wheels, precoated black for '03 and later if I recall correctly). Still, for that kind of money ($720), you could have your existing ones shipped out, prepped, plated or powder-coated, and returned to you and still have a few hundred left over at least. I'd say get quotes, or scour eBay.

Investigate the POR-15 solution instead. You could do it for $300 - $400, easy, even with someone else sand-blasting them first ($75 - $140), and then spraying them for you (you provide the hardnose paint, so you know what you're getting).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

alrighty, thanks alot
          Matt

Comment

If you want to pay someone to do it, have them powdercoated. You should be able to have the pair done for about $100. Note, if you do powdercoat them, you'll have to remove the bearings, which will probably require new ones when you reinstall, but bearings are cheap (maybe $40 total for both wheels)

DO NOT PAY $300-400 to have them painted. I don't care what paint they use, that's just absurd for black.

If you want to go the budget route, you can get good results with a spray can, provided you do a good job pf cleaning and prepping the wheels first.
            I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Working...
            X