Over spray on bike. How to remove?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over spray on bike. How to remove?

Idk what the PO did but
    On my bike there are some spots that feel like they have over spray on them. Like the tail is white but has a light blue mist on it. Anyone know of a good way to get this off? Its on the outside of the clear coat, but I don't want to damage anything.
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

a good quality compound and buffing....
    2004 GSX750F

Comment

Google Clay Bar. That's what I used on a car once from over spray, worked good.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

those things mentioned work quite well, but I have always been a fan of things a bit more potent, such as reducer or thinner. you know...the time thing. a rag soaked in either one of those will usually take it right off. then a quick buff and polish afterwards.

it might sound scary to some, using harsh chemicals like that, but I think it is actually a bit safer than buffing with a compound. depending how you buff...usually with a buffer...it causes heat. heat will "soften" the clear coat as it heats up, which makes the compound cut in at a faster rate....which means a greater chance of breaking through to the base. and when that happens, you are left with a dull spot...or two...or three. if you plan on buffing by hand, well...avoid that if possible. there is a technique to that, and most who are not aware of that technique are left with a lot of fine scratches in the clear. even with a buffer, I have seen lots of jobs done that shine, but shine with a gazillion swirl marks as well.

but then again, this is all relevant to just how much over spray there is. if you have some reducer or thinner laying around, or even pure old gasoline for that matter, just try it on a small discreet spot. then apply a little wax to the spot afterwards and see what you think. it's the fastest and cheapest way to go. if you don't like the results, then invest in a good compound. just be careful with the buffing, especially around sharp edges and corners as those are the easiest places to break through the clear.
        Last edited by Mojoe; 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Started to remove some of it with "goo-Off". Worked well, rear fender looks 100% white and feels smooth. Going to try the other pieces.
          2005 Gsx600f- My baby
          1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
          Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

never tried goo-off before, but I can see that being a strong enough solvent to do the trick....which is basically what you needed....a solvent.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
            X