X

Heated Grips...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Grips...

Whats the best ?..anybody got any recommendations ?

harley davidson makes some ....how crafty do you wanna be?

Comment

I just picked up a kimpex heating grip kit at Canadian tire for $23 cdn. only has a 3 way switch, Hi-LO and Off.

I'll be installing them over the winter along with some other goodies that are on the way. They should come in handy on those colder mornings.

Kimpex Heating grips KPX# 912025

Here's what a quick yahoo search found
      Honda ST1100 Hints & Tips. Here You will find Honda ST1100 PanEuropean handy hints and tips. These categories will include but not be limited to maintenance, transportation, and operation of this great Sport-Tourer. The main source for this archive will be from the ST1100 mailing list and direct contributions and solicitations from members of the STOC (ST Owners Club) The categories on this page will link to other pages which will contain detailed information on the subject selected.

Kyle

Comment

Just installed the Kimpex grips 2 weekends ago. Haven't had a chance to use them, as there is snow on the ground. Still hoping to try them out though. We Wired them into and electrical outlet on the right side of the bike which has no power when the key is off (so I don't forget to turn them off and drain the battery). We used the one's that go under reg grips and put the original grips back on. Once the electrical was figured out, it took about an hour to install. We did purchase a different switch becaused the one in the package is huge!
        Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

Hey Froggy, where did you end up mounting the switch?
          Kyle

Comment

Hope you can make it out. We purchased a really small switch so it fit on the lip of the panel. The switch clicks up and down (rather than side to side). I have ordered the black rubber 'rain coat' for the switch, but isn't in yet. The little red LED is for my home made mecury switch alarm. It slowly flashes when it's turned on.

Comment

Good job Froggy...you have great ideas...any chance you coming up and working on my bike?

Please post a HOW TO for your mercury switch

Comment

Thanks for the pic Froggy, I'll have to head over to radioshack and see what is availible for a new switch, Or maybe Princess auto. Good idea for the rain cover also, definately a must for those that actually ride in the rain.
                Kyle

Comment

Well I prefer not to ride in the rain, but when your on vacation, you don't have the luxury to decide when not to drive I will have to get my husband to get the details on the how-to for the mectury switch alarm. When it is taken off the center stand it whails, and it is set up that when the bike is put back down, it stays on. Can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Comment

Great stuff Froggy!
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Just make sure the back-side of the switch is properly sealed up against rain water intrusion as well (a small project box, or black silicone works wonders).

No preference on brand (but I do prefer the 3-ways with hi/lo outputs), but if it's really cold, you may want to also consider finding some hand guards to install as well (this keep the air stream off your hands in the first place, and help amazingly well).

Odd note: A friend of mine in Germany keeps a whole spare set of bar extensions with hand shields, heated grips, etc. in his garage and slaps them on at the outset of truely cold weather. Even the controls are slightly altered to make them work more readily with massive gloved hands, using custom fabricated carbon fiber brake and clutch levers (which transmit less heat than metal levers). Then again, he's a nut who rides through snowstorms...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use the Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips. Go to:

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store

Enter in "Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips" in the "Search/Buy" box. This is the best $45 bucks I have ever spent on cold weather gear One thing I really love about them is that it is easy to swap them between bikes also and they keep my hands nice and toasty without having bulky gloves on. I have also found that my Phoenix pants are good over jeans down to 35 to 40 degrees. After that I tend to put either my one piece suit on or my First Gear bib overpants. My First Gear Kenya with liner lets me ride with a t-shirt on also. A balaclava is used to keep the cold air from blasting my face.

I have used this gear to do 1000 mile days on cold temps with no problems, but a vest would be nice too.

Grip Warmers on grip

Grip Warmers set
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Im definately all about that alarm as well Froggy.. excellent idea! I'll be looking forward to that write up as well.

-----------

how warm to the grips usually get, I've never used then b/4..but I know tons of peeps that have, and they have nothing but good things to say. Do they actually get warm enough to make ur hands sweat inside the gloves?

Thanx

Comment

I can tell you that the grip wraps I use get HOT! I have been intending to install an adjustable rheostat in order to vary the temp a bit. It just cycle them on and off over long trips but they keep my hands toasty. I have not even put on my heavy gloves so far this year!
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

That is cool Froggy
                              I have found heated grips through some smowmobile shops that have 3 heat settings, that is what I used when riding on my sled, but of course not here but in Michigan and Ohio.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X