X

Grips and the removal of.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grips and the removal of.

Hey guys, I got a new pair of Kuryakyn Iso Grips for Christmas for the FJR. I wanted to keep my factory grips when I take them off and not destroy them. I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times but is there any suggestions for doing so? Thanks!
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Smaller round rod/screw driver to lift up. I work a WD40 or other oil spray straw in, spray a little... then twist back and forth a bit to work it around. Then repeat to work further down until it slides off.

Wash clean to remove all the oil, use grip glue to put them back on or instal new ones.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, sounds like a plan to me.
      'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
      ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
      ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Smaller round rod/screw driver to lift up. I work a WD40 or other oil spray straw in, spray a little... then twist back and forth a bit to work it around. Then repeat to work further down until it slides off.

Wash clean to remove all the oil, use grip glue to put them back on or instal new ones.

Krey
        +1
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Awesome; been meaning to install some heated grips parts stuff so I'll give the WD40 a shot!

Comment

in the old days i used hairspray to install grips. everything has to clean and dry. after they dried, good to go.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Depends on how much you really want to save the factory ones, lot more work to save them instead of just cutting them off.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Saw a video I think on here, shooting compressed air under the grip and they came off undamaged in about 3 seconds.
                Blackdog
                DRz-400e plated
                Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

+1 Thats what I do. They puff up like a balloon and float right off.

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
                  Saw a video I think on here, shooting compressed air under the grip and they came off undamaged in about 3 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by bigkat View Post
                    +1 Thats what I do. They puff up like a balloon and float right off.

Last time I did grips removal, I didn't have a compressor available... so you work with what you got (the oil under the grips). Now that I have a compressor.... well, oh yeah... I can defiantely see me giving this a try next time.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I took off one of my grips (throttle side) last night and the glue wasn't a problem (I'm not even sure if there was much if any there). If there was any, the WD40 ate through it fast. The real problem was these little plastic teeth on the throttle sleeve, digging into the grips to hold them on. I bet compressed air would work much better especially with the damned teeth.

Comment

Working...
                      X