X

how much paint do i need?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much paint do i need?

So i layed my bike down on some salt/gravel crap and scuffed up the fairings pretty good. I'm just wondering how much paint i will need for this fix. I'll need orange and a metallic coat for the orange parts. and metallic black for the lower fairing. how much of each should i need? im thinking 1/2 pint of orange and 1/2 pint for black but i have no idea.
    Attached Files

I'd do 1 pint each just to be safe. One small mistake and you'd probably want to do it over.
    sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
      I'd do 1 pint each just to be safe. One small mistake and you'd probably want to do it over.
      i heard that but... im just trying to be cost effective. i was gonna buy the paint and have a shop do it. still think i'd need more than 1/2 pint?

lol i know cost effective and shop shouldn't even be in the same sentence.... i have a buddy that does body work

Comment

Originally posted by zooki91 View Post
        i heard that but... im just trying to be cost effective. i was gonna buy the paint and have a shop do it. still think i'd need more than 1/2 pint?

lol i know cost effective and shop shouldn't even be in the same sentence.... i have a buddy that does body work
        depends on how confident you are in your boy I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by car0linab0y View Post
          depends on how confident you are in your boy I guess.
          well then.... $350 + clear coat cost. and $100 in decals.

Take it from me, laying your bike down sucks!

Comment

You know, that damage looks way too bad to cover up with paint. You should just give the bike to me and get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by zooki91 View Post
              well then.... $350 + clear coat cost. and $100 in decals.

Take it from me, laying your bike down sucks!
              you can get a full set of fairings from China for that much, decals included. wish I had gone that route now.

Comment

I painted my lower today and it came out OK ... used flexable primier and fussion paint from wally world .. i have just under a half of rattle can but used almost two cans of primier. ordered the yamaha tuning decals for eash side then 2 more clear coats .

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                  I painted my lower today and it came out OK ... used flexable primier and fussion paint from wally world .. i have just under a half of rattle can but used almost two cans of primier. ordered the yamaha tuning decals for eash side then 2 more clear coats .
                  I wanted to go that route on the Kat, but SOMEBODY wants it the color of the Cadillac Escalade's "White Diamond Pearl". doesn't exactly come in a can.
                  zooki... have you looked on ebay for some OEM fairings? might find some used ones in your color scheme.

Comment

i've done some looking around, but the ones i've found are super expensive and not the right color. And the orange and black is the raven edition so it's limited. so i haven't found what i need. I looked on bikebandit and it would cost me 950 for the decals and fairings already painted... but there's no way im going to pay that.

I'm not sure i'd trust china's fairings.

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                    You know, that damage looks way too bad to cover up with paint. You should just give the bike to me and get a new one.
                    i'll think about it
                    Last edited by zooki91; 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

1/2 pt of each would be more than enough for that repair...depending on what paint sytem your buddy uses, 1/2 pt usually reduces out to a full pint anyway, which is a TON of paint for one or two pieces of plastic...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                      X