No announcement yet.
X

How do I get paint off of my fairings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get paint off of my fairings?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/BENMAC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/BENMAC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]Alright guys, just got my kat totally taken apart (look at my long term project post for more details), and need to get the paint off my forks. I want it back to the silver/chrome look, so I was wondering, how do I get the paint off? Here are some pictures:

Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Wow, it looks anodized to me. It may be an anodized look paint though. If it is just paint (it will chip) I would use aircraft stripper - it is made primarily for stripping aluminum and works very well. It can be found at any auto parts chain like O'Rileys, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Sprays on, let sit for 10 minutes or so, use a nylon brush or plastic scraper to remove the paint as it bubbles up, and rinse well with water. I used it to strip my wheel lips before I polished them. Good luck.

Comment

looks anodized to me too, i know anodizing is a ***** to remove because anodizing it a chemical reaction on the metal, thats why after awhile it will wear away. be careful if you try to remove it, some the the stuff they use is pretty potent and can just end up turning your forks black

Comment

It does look anodized, but it matches the exhaust a little too well. That makes me think it is paint.

Comment

x2 on the stripper only safe way to remove without scratcking the crap outta them sanding and weeks polishing

Comment

Its on your exhaust and brake disks too...

Stripper will take it off, but once you do that, it may rust quicker. You may want to consider powder coating the stuff in a color you like better, or maybe having it all chromed.

That is, unless you stay with that anodized green color and use it on the fairings too. You kat could be turned into the green goblin's ride pretty quick and it would look cool...
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

For what its worth, Black with small green accents (some bolts, your forks, rotors, exhaust) and possibly some minimal LED's here and there would be pretty, how they say....ballin.

I would leave it anodized.

Comment

Agreed...gloss black w/ green accents would be sweet.

Comment

Me, I like the look of polished aluminum. If that's standard spray paint you may be able to get it off using plain old mineral spirits from the home improvement store. The stuff works on adhesives, too and it's not nearly as harsh as the aircraft stripper. Just wet a rag with it and start wiping. If it's professional grade paint, though you're going to have to use the aircraft stripper.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

my vote is for acetone on metal areas
                    AVOID plastics at all cost
                    Last edited by rexazz2; 11-27-2010, 11:00 AM.
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Btw, just so everyone knows, the wheels are just tape that can be pulled off. The green on the exhaust also is the same as the forks. I agree, the green may look cool, but in case I dont like it, Id like to know how to remove it
                      Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

It's a good color but it'd be a lot better if it matched the rest of the bike. My vote's still for the bare aluminum look.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Go black if your'e doing black bike, that always look good.Paint or powder.
                          You can get very nice looking silver/alum in powder as well.
                          My powder guy has a beautiful " black chrome" they call it.Looks a mile deep, very dark translucent black.Rest of chassis parts would look good in that as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X