X

What grit of sandpaper should i use?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grit of sandpaper should i use?

I got my bike parts painted with Dupli-color metallic black,I was pretty happy with the results until i looked at my main fairings and noticed that in some places it has a almost white,Hazy look to it.Does anyone know what needs to be done to remove this,Can it be sanded out or do i have to sand off a few coats of paint/primer and do it again?Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated,Thanks.
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

I should be able to help!!

katan_j, sadly, there is really no way that you can buff it out. Give me a little more info on the specifics of how it was painted and I can tell you how to do it better next time. So far, it sounds like you need to wetsand it with some 400-1000 grit paper and repaint it. Let me know where and how it was painted, did you put Clear Coat on it? If you have a picture, that would be nice. The fix is not hard, but I want to lead you in the right direction as far as what was done wrong or what you can do to prevent this from happening in the future. Before I came in the Army, I was a painter. I now, do a lot of spray paint work, so I have a little knowledge on the subject.
    Why bother doing anything if you cannot
    "Be All You Can Be."

http://www.myspace.com/kahluamud

Comment

remember to wet sand, fully rinse, and dry. Then rub with a tac cloth. That romoves a lot of crap as well. As for the painting, you will prolly have to redo it all. 400 grit it, then reprime it, make sure to give it ample drying time, or use a heat gun, and let the peice cool, then repaint. Also, if using a can, let the layers build up, you don't have to cover the peice all at once. Good luck!!

If you have any firther questions, go to....

I did a write up on how to paint, maybe that would help.

Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

The panels have 6 coats of dupli-color metallic black on them,Followed by 4 coats of clear coat.Sorry but i don't have any pictures of the panels.Is there any way that i can sand off the layers of clear coat and maybe a coat or 2 of paint and re-paint it,Or does the whole thing have to be repainted? And if it does have to be repainted completeley does anyone know of any shops in central florida that does media blasting? I don't think i have the patience to sand everything back down again.
        97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Been there, Resanding everything sux
          "Do or Do Not, There is No Try!"
          -Yoda

"Ryde or Die"
          -DMX

Comment

Chances are, the white discolored areas are from the clear coat. I have had this problem many times in the past. The Metallic paint that you are using is a really good paint. Clear coats out of a can are very tricky to use. This problem usually occurs from applying too much clear at one time. Remember, the key to spray paint is THIN EVEN COATS. Applying clear coats in cooler temperatures is another thing that causes the white spots. You also have to let the color paint dry completely first.

Sanding: You do not have to sand off all the paint or even the clear. Scuff it up really good with some 400-800 grit wetsand paper, clean it, and repaint. Trust me and Sweetlou, wetsanding and light even coats are the key. Clear coats have to be extremely light coats. Do not do it in cold temperatures. When you apply any paint on a previously painted, sanded area, the new paint reactivates the previous, causing really good adhesion. You will do fine. Scuff and paint. Good luck.
            "Be All You Can Be."

Comment

Thanks for the help guys,I'll try that

Comment

I'm going to start by wetsanding with the 400 grit and work my way to the 800 grit,Hopefully things will go well.

Comment

Where in Ocala Florida are you? I am from Ocala, well, Citra. I will be making way way to Ocala for a little visit when I get back from Iraq.
                  "Be All You Can Be."

Comment

Hey Katana J, 40 grit should be all you really need if you are going to use a primer first, which you really need to do!!!!!

400 grit wet sand well give you a really nice light scuff, 800 would just be more money out of your pocket that you really don't need to spend
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Oh, and another reminder. You are wet sanding to scuff to give something for the primer to grab onto I guess you could say. You are not sanding off layers. Just do it enough to scuff it, no need to use all that elbow greese!!!
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'm in marion oaks,Which is in the south part of marion county,Are you in the military?Wasn't sure if you were or not.Lou,I'm not sanding everything down,i'm just trying to scuff up the top coat enough to re-apply the clear coat like kahlua mud suggested. I also talked to the guys at dupli-color,And they told me that i can use the clear coat from their D-E series (engine paint) to clear coat my tank

Comment

Yeah, I am in the Army. I just found out yesterday that my tour will be extended for a couple months. I grew up on the North side of Marion County. I would love to get my Katana out there do some riding, but being in the military, it is too hard. Well, goos luck with the painting.
                          "Be All You Can Be."

Comment

My nephew has been over there twice since 9/11,He just recently got out a few months ago,He joined the marines like the rest of us. Maybe You'll be here in time for bike week,There's going to be a big sportbike get-together at deland airport,It'd be nice to see another kat out there,Anyways,I think all of you guys are doing one heck of a outstanding job out there,I know it's not easy,But I'm definetley thankful for the sacrifices you guys are makeing,Stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X