X

flat black paint job need some advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat black paint job need some advice

hey guys i need some advice .first off i'm new here and i'd like to send my appreciation from all information i found ,on this websight. So here it goes I just bought a 1993katana 750 the bike was ruined it has a lot body work so i'm gonna turn it into a street fighter.my color of choices flat black but i'm haveing a problem with the paint wiping off from gas touching it does nobody know how to solve this problem with being able to keep it flat black

you want to get a non glossy clear coat put on, or just stop spilling gas on it.
    Do you know why Santa is so jolly.... Because he knows where all the naughty girls live..

Comment

As was said most of the good flat paintjobs are done with regular base and a flat/satin 2part clear to take the shine off

Comment

Dupont makes a paint called "hot rod black" that is a single stage, 2 part polyurethane (I think). No clear. I had some on my Bandit 1200 and it survived many, many fuel spills.

It runs about $60 per quart. Not sure how that compares with a black paint and flat clear 2 part job, but it might be cheaper. Plus, it's one less step

Comment

Awesome thanks for the info ill post pics when I'm done

Comment

stop dripping gas?

Comment

I got flat black primer on mine and i get drips on it all the time and then i just take a little carb cleaner on a rag and wipe it down as a matter of fact that is how i "wash" my bike a little bit wipes off on the rag but i got a ton of primer on it so no big worry
              1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

What some of the others alluded to is correct. If you want your paint to withstand gas, it needs to be activated (i.e. urethane or automotive enamel). Spray can paint that air dries won't cut it.
                2003 Ducati ST4s ABS

Comment

John Deere Blitz Black is supposed to be great as well, lot of hot rodders use it.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

carry a rag to wrap the nozzle when you fill-up

Comment

i like the flat black, i did the same.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...