X

Paint job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint job

Hi guys! I've decided to change the color of my bike from stock blue to mandarin orange I've found on Alsa paint website. I'm not sure how much paint I should buy. Do you think one quart of paint should be enough? I'm also not sure how much it'll cost me to get it clear coated. Any ideas?...

I bought a quart each of primer, activator/hardener, color and clear. One gallon of reducer and have a little bit of product left over. I spent just over $500-$550 for all of the paint supplies including wet/dry sandpaper, adhesion promoter and wax and grease remover. My friend works in the refinishing business and had the cutting and polishing compounds. You will have to get those too if you are going to do the job yourself with standard automotive paint.

Comment

yes 1 quart should be enough to cover all the plastics with a few coats

Comment

You should be able to get the base coat, clear, and all activators, hardners and reducers for $200-$250 for a decent paint. At least that's what I can get it for around here. We have a body shop supply here that has some pretty good prices. A quart of base and a quart of clear is plenty.

Comment

Thank you, guys. I appreciate your help.

Comment

i just painted my new bike.
            1 litre primer
            0.5l thinned base color
            0.6l clearcoat
            0.1l xirallic

1.00 litre = 1.05 quarts

Comment

1 qt each of base and clear will get it done as long as it goes well the first time. If you have to respray any panels, you might cut it close.

I get Dupont products from a local autobody supply shop and usually spend $200-$250 per bike. But, I have leftover reducer, thinner, etc. Might be closer to $300 if you're starting from scratch.
              2003 Ducati ST4s ABS

Comment

Working...
              X