X

Not exactly a "body" question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not exactly a "body" question

Just curious, I was hoping to clean up my headers and powdercoat them. I have a feeling that powdercoat won't hold up to the heat though... If not, does anyone know of a good product to use to protect them from rust(hi temp coatings?) My main concern is protecting them, not so much the "Ooh la la factor".
    Last edited by LAsunbird86; 06-19-2010, 08:14 AM.

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
    Just curious, I was hoping to clean up my headers and powdercoat them. I have a feeling that powdercoat won't hold up to the heat though... If not, does anyone know of a good product to use to protect them from rust(hi temp coatings?) My main concern is protecting them, not so much the "Ooh la la factor".
    Done the same as "powdercoat" but a ceramic based powder is applied... Most powder coat operations offer something along those lines.

One such version is called "jetcoat".... I believe.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Jet coating, This is a process that some manufacturers use on aftermarket drag racing headers. Actually, if you find a place to do this. Ask them if they offer the inner coating as well. Not only does it help lower temps, it also helps to remove gasses quicker. Great way to go if you can find a place that does it.
      My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
      Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

How are you all
        2006 Katana 600

Comment

My Powder coater did a Flat Black hi-temp powder coating to my header and mid pipe, he said it was good to 1100 deg. I was a little apprehensive but talked to some guys who have had the Dirt bike head pipes done and have had no problems. So far I've had mine on for about 3 months and it still looks good with no sign of flaking or discoloration. when I got them back they were a little glossy, and was told they'll flatted out after a couple heat cycles, which they did. I paid $125.00 for both the header and mid pipe, that included blasting.
          I priced out a jet hot type coating at a local place and it would have been hundreds more. So far I'm happy but only time will tell.
          Richard
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ep87; 06-20-2010, 06:23 PM.
          96 Suzuki GSX750F
          89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
          05 Yamaha WR450F
          05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

just throw some header paint on em and wrap em.

Comment

fyi jethot coatings are very easy to scratch....but from my experience, that was the ONLY problem with it.....

Comment

jet hot gets expensive unless you know people ...

i got my cars headers coated and it was a couple hundred bucks

Comment

ep87...who did your work? looks good and hella cheap!
                  sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Originally posted by ct3 View Post
                    ep87...who did your work? looks good and hella cheap!
                    Vancouver Powder coating. he's done several jobs for me and so far I've been very impressed. he charged me $125. for My header and mid pipe done in high temp. He also did all my other stuff in non-high temp matte black for only $300 including blasting which from what I can tell is a great price (see pictures). You might check with him I believe he ships. Last time I talked to him he asked if he could use pictures of my bike for his web site, which I thought was pretty cool. The owners name is JR, here's his web site.
                    Richard
                    www.vancouverpowdercoating.com
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ep87; 06-22-2010, 01:09 AM.
                    96 Suzuki GSX750F
                    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                    05 Yamaha WR450F
                    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I have always had good luck with plain ol' bbq paint..lol.

seriously, that is what I use. they look great for a season. yank them off, give it another coat or two and you are good for another season. for $50 worth of spray bbq paint, I am good for years.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

VHT works very well.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Check into cermachrome coating.

If you want to do it yourself.

I've used this place with good results on headers:

And POR-20 works very well

Comment

Working...
                          X