X

White from Flat back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White from Flat back

So I got tired of the white paint already, and decided to go flat black. When I paint my tank, i'm just planning on stripping it, then prime and flat black on top. Will gasoline mess up the paint if i get some on it at the pump? and do i need to add a rust protector.

It all depends on the type of paint you're using. If it's Walmart Rustoleum flat black...then yes, I would think gasoline would ruin it.

When I painted my bandit 1200 flat black, I used Dupont "hot rod black". It was a single stage (no clear), 3 part polyurethane I think. About $60 a quart. You could soak the whole bike in gasoline and it would have come out fine. It was pretty tough stuff, and SUPER easy to spray. I probably couldn't make it run if I tried.

Comment

Dude how can you be tired of white? It's the fastest color of 2010!
      Last edited by whitecl0ver; 06-18-2010, 09:10 AM.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I just did the top of my tank with Herculiner(undercoat) when I did mine in Flat Black. It resists about anything and can be picked up about anywhere for little money.
        2005 Aprilia RST1000
        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
        1998 Chevy Tahoe
        www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Sounds good.. i was just thinking maybe i'll do it like i did the rest of the plastics n just b careful of the gasoline.. i kno i'm kinda lazy..

Also, I spraid a flat black over my 4 coats of primer.. like 2 coats.. it wont swell up if it gets wet now will it? or shud i spray it again?
          Last edited by primesession21; 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
            It all depends on the type of paint you're using. If it's Walmart Rustoleum flat black...then yes, I would think gasoline would ruin it.

When I painted my bandit 1200 flat black, I used Dupont "hot rod black". It was a single stage (no clear), 3 part polyurethane I think. About $60 a quart. You could soak the whole bike in gasoline and it would have come out fine. It was pretty tough stuff, and SUPER easy to spray. I probably couldn't make it run if I tried.
            I also used the dupont hot rod black on my 750 belly pans and several other auto applications like the hood and top of front fenders on my Duster.
            Great stuff a little spendy but works great and is very tough.

If you want a long lasting flat black its hard to beat.
            Richard
            96 Suzuki GSX750F
            89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
            05 Yamaha WR450F
            05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by primesession21 View Post
              Sounds good.. i was just thinking maybe i'll do it like i did the rest of the plastics n just b careful of the gasoline.. i kno i'm kinda lazy..

Also, I spraid a flat black over my 4 coats of primer.. like 2 coats.. it wont swell up if it gets wet now will it? or shud i spray it again?
              you can't be too lazy if you sprayed 4 coats of primer....which is 2 coats too many, imho.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
              X