X

Rattle can clear coat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle can clear coat

Hey guys I'm going to try to take on the project of painting some of the plastic fairings on my bike and I was just wondering what you all feel the best clear coat rattle can paint is? I know some paints don't miX with plastic so what would you all suggest? What do you all use?

some folks like the krylon fusion. it's made to go on plastic.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I've seen a lot on different threads about good results from duplicolor paint too...any specific clear coat needed or just anything in the krylon fusion line?

Comment

Be wary of clearcoats that will be anywhere near corrosives (like fuel) - need a particular kind to go on your tank at the very least.
        "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your results.

good luck! Lots of people have had big success with rattle can jobs...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys. I won't be painting the tank (I like the color) I just need to repaint some chips and scratches from the paint the PO had done. Need to take my time with this one. I'll try to post before and after pics if i remember.

Let me know if anyone has any specific clearcoat brands or types to suggest.

Comment

FYI....ALL clear coats work on plastic. that is too say you can spray any item made of plastic, since the clear coat isn't going right on the plastic, right? so what is more important than worrying about whether you can spray plastic or not, is whether it will work with the base color you will be spraying over.

so, just use the same brand as the base coat you use.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i agree with you there...i think i just need to make sure the clear coat doesnt contain acetone because that eats away at plastic. I tried to paint my old windscreen to see how it looks, and the clear coat over the base black made the black crack and ripple. my dad comes home and told me it was probably the acetone.

would it be better to use like a lacquer or like an automotive clear coat? ive seen some that come in spray can form.

Comment

I absolutely fell in love with the Alsacorp clear coat!! It was the best clear ive ever used with a rattle can...a bit salty, but man its looks so good!

Comment

Originally posted by chrislen32 View Post
                    i agree with you there...i think i just need to make sure the clear coat doesnt contain acetone because that eats away at plastic. I tried to paint my old windscreen to see how it looks, and the clear coat over the base black made the black crack and ripple. my dad comes home and told me it was probably the acetone.

would it be better to use like a lacquer or like an automotive clear coat? ive seen some that come in spray can form.
                    well there is automotive paint/clear that is lacquer based, so it's the same thing. the other option is urethane..

my advice.....don't buy your paint from a general automotive parts place or off the shelf at a place like wal-mart. if one is available in your area, go directly to a place that deals in automotive paint.....and by "deals", I mean they have a mixing station where they can mix up any paint code that exists. these places...at least the well equipped ones, can fill you up a rattle can of high quality clear that is wayyy above makes like color-rite or krylon. It is a bit more expensive, but not that much more...and worth every cent. in fact, I think it is even cheaper than color-rite. I never bother with color-rite, but I think I looked into it once and found it insanely expensive....even more than I pay for a rattle can of high quality clear from an automotive paint supplier.

also, they can scan a part from your bike and give you an exact match for the base coat. this can also be put into a rattle can. it is a wise investment, imho, as you will always have a good supply of "touch up" paint for future scratches. for very small scratches, you just spray a bit into an old tupperware dish or something, then apply it with a brush.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 05-26-2010, 12:03 AM.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Duplicolor clear is gas proof in my experience,
                      I have been using the Rustolium clear because it is brake fluid resistant. Not perfect but held up better than the duplicolor..
                      It is not gas proof however.

Comment

look for a product called Spraymax. It is a 2 part urethane clear in a rattle can. IMO, best rattle can clear out there.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                          well there is automotive paint/clear that is lacquer based, so it's the same thing. the other option is urethane..

my advice.....don't buy your paint from a general automotive parts place or off the shelf at a place like wal-mart. if one is available in your area, go directly to a place that deals in automotive paint.....and by "deals", I mean they have a mixing station where they can mix up any paint code that exists. these places...at least the well equipped ones, can fill you up a rattle can of high quality clear that is wayyy above makes like color-rite or krylon. It is a bit more expensive, but not that much more...and worth every cent. in fact, I think it is even cheaper than color-rite. I never bother with color-rite, but I think I looked into it once and found it insanely expensive....even more than I pay for a rattle can of high quality clear from an automotive paint supplier.

also, they can scan a part from your bike and give you an exact match for the base coat. this can also be put into a rattle can. it is a wise investment, imho, as you will always have a good supply of "touch up" paint for future scratches. for very small scratches, you just spray a bit into an old tupperware dish or something, then apply it with a brush.
                          Yes perfect this is a great answer...I didn't even know where to really begin with painting so this would be a great point to start. I'm going to look into a few places once I get paid haha. Thanks again!

Also I will probably end up looking into Spraymax and duplicolor paints because I kind of want to experiment and learn my way around painting a little bit better.

Comment

Why would you want to clear coat the bike?
                            It looks super but it's much harder to repair if you scratch it.
                            You really cant do a quick repair on a clear coated paint job.
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                            Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                            R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                            1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                            RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                            3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                            Black painted seat and rear trim,
                            Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by bob393 View Post
                              Why would you want to clear coat the bike?
                              It looks super but it's much harder to repair if you scratch it.
                              You really cant do a quick repair on a clear coated paint job.
                              im not trying to redo the whole bike...just sand and paint the platics that need to be repaired. the bike is glossy now and i would need to try to match it the best i can. however, my buddy who is working on getting his first bike this week just informed me earlier today that his aunt owns a body shop about 2 hours away and they do a lot of work with bikes. were going to get some work done within the next few weeks so itll be cool to see how the pros do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X