X

Yet another painting question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another painting question

Hey all, I'm planning to paint my '92 750, and am wondering if I would get a good dark-to-bright blue fade if I use a black base and, starting with just the end of the tail on the first coat, gradually move up the bike with each coat...

I'll be using actual auto paint & spray gun, so hopefully that helps

Basically, I'm expecting to have 2 coats (if not 1-would that even work?) on the front of the bike, and probably like 7 on the tail section, so the black primer shows a lot more on front, making it like a midnight blue. Does that sound like it'd give teh effect i'm looking for? Can I have too many coats on the tail? anybody tried this?

Once I actually buy the primer/paint and spray gun, I'll be testing it on something, but wanted to get opinions first--I've been reading up on here for the past couple weeks and you've all seriously earned my respect!

Thanks a lot!

The way I have done fades is to get the two colors you want to fade together in two seperate guns and start with the lighter color. Spray the light color, in your case from the back forward and cover it well. Stop with the light color. Grab the other gun and start at the front. Work your way back gradually pulling away. Look at it and 'adjust' with either color as necessary to achieve your desired look.

That's just the way I do it, others will probably have varying opinions and preferences as to how they do it. Good luck!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

From what I've been told, it's harder to fade or smoke the new paints then it was to do with old paints
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
        The way I have done fades is to get the two colors you want to fade together in two seperate guns and start with the lighter color. Spray the light color, in your case from the back forward and cover it well. Stop with the light color. Grab the other gun and start at the front. Work your way back gradually pulling away. Look at it and 'adjust' with either color as necessary to achieve your desired look.

That's just the way I do it, others will probably have varying opinions and preferences as to how they do it. Good luck!

Dang, that technique definitely seemed more reliable, but I was hoping to get away with just primer and 1 color, in hopes of using just one gun & keeping extra paint to a minimum (on a really tight budget, and I have other repairs on it in addition to the painting...)

Thanks a lot, though--if nobody else has tried my idea, maybe I shouldn't try--experimenting can get even more expensive when it doesn't work!!

Comment

If you are on a budget, shoot a single color
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If you want to use a single color, get one that is an Iridescent. Audi has a real nice purplish-blue that is an Iridescent color. Light and heavy coatings and undercoat color make or break that color when spraying it...so that is another route you could go with it.

I should state that it is an iridescent in DuPont Chromabase...not all paint companies do things the same way....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post

A+ Advice on the technique!
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
              Black painted seat and rear trim,
              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

this is just my opinion, but I think you would be better off with a light color under your paint than a dark one. trying to do a fade over black will be difficult to say the least. white is usually the color of choice for these things. even better if you use an iridescent color like Teddy suggested.

just do it the same way as you thought of doing it over the black, but in the opposite fashion.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

If you have a spray gun i recommend this method. Start off with two colors, possibly dark grey and black. Start spraying the lighter color first from the end that you want to be light, once you get close to where you want the color to start fading start adding black into the same gun can to mix the two colors. Spray a little bit forward, stop, add more black. So on, so forth until end with pure black at the other end. This method takes a little more care but the result can be absolutely awesome.
                  sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Working...
                  X