X

Headers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headers

Alright, so I'm going to have my bike apart, so I think I want to paint my headers (which right now are rusting/rusted). Not bad, mind you, but still bad enough for me to say "Oh crap, my headers have rust on them". So my question is, what is the best way to paint them? I want to go with a flat or glossy black, and I know I'm going to need something to stand high heat (like engine enamel). I assume that you have to sand the rust off. Anyone got some pointers?

Thanks,
    Crackshot.

take em and have em chromed. jimmies are chrome and they look
    S-W-E-E-T

Comment

Consider having them ceramic coated. There are several companies that do this & most offer either a chrome look or maybe black. I've done some research & found this company - www.airborncaoatings.com - They quoted me $120 + shipping to do my header & mid-pipe, prep work included. Hope this helps, Andy.

Comment

I think Jimmy's are actually bandit headers (which come chromed).

Crackshot:
        The most important part of any painting/coating job is the prep-work. In the case of headers, sand-blasting is the right way to go, because it'll get off the rust and the paint and leave fresh metal for painting or plating or ceramic coating. Many powdercoaters will sand-blast your headers for $25 - $50 (depending on whether you've given them other business previously and whether they will be doing any other work in conjunction with this work).

Once sand-blasted, you can:

(A) Paint them with exhaust paints or BBQ grill paints (usually the same thing). Don't use engine paints; the exhaust runs too hot for them normally. Paints for the job will handle over 1000 degrees F continuously.

(B) Get them ceramic coated (JetCoat is one brand of ceramic coating). My local guy gets $150 to sandblast and ceramic coat in black, or $175 to sandblast and ceramic coat in silver-finish. Ceramic coatings have several big benefits -- the coating acts as a thermal barrier to speed the exhaust along and help your oil cooler run cooler, and unless it gets chipped or scratched away (hard stuff), it won't permit further rust.

(C) Get the plated. I'm not sure what the process costs, but I'm sure someone else around here knows.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I really don't have the money to take them any where, so we will see what I can manage. (Poor college student here). Man, chrome would be sweet

Comment

We went thru TONS of paint on the headers on our racecar before I figured out a little secret. Go to the hardware store, and get stove pipe paint. It's made for wood burning stoves and such, but I've never seen anything that lasts like it does. It will be a flat black, which personally, I think looks better for exhaust unless it's titanium or chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Crackshot
              Thanks for the advice guys. I really don't have the money to take them any where, so we will see what I can manage. (Poor college student here). Man, chrome would be sweet
              Call around -- you may find someone who can sand-blast them cheap enough (esp. when you start figuring in the cost of sand paper, wire wheels, tack-cloth and alcohol or keytone to remove oils, etc., to clean them thoroughly on your own). If you can find someone who will do it for $25, take the deal.

Without proper prep work (removal of all the rust, loose paint and oils of all sorts), the new paint won't hold for squat.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Without proper prep work (removal of all the rust, loose paint and oils of all sorts), the new paint won't hold for squat.

Good Luck!
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Oh yeah , I can attest to that . I tried to paint my pipes back in the spring . Spent HOURS with the Dremel grinding away the rust and old paint . Looked GREAT when I finally finished painting . Now they look the same again . I shoulda looked HARDER for a sandblaster .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by RoadRacer61
                  We went thru TONS of paint on the headers on our racecar before I figured out a little secret. Go to the hardware store, and get stove pipe paint. It's made for wood burning stoves and such, but I've never seen anything that lasts like it does. It will be a flat black, which personally, I think looks better for exhaust unless it's titanium or chrome.
                  tru dat.. if it has a pic of a grill or wood stove it will work real well..

I would go the cheap route esp if you have any plans to upgrade the header..

Comment

Im in Il and could sand blast them no problem. You would have to ride a little thow. Id sand blast them in marion. How long you plan to have them off?
                    Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                    6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                    5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X