X

Teaching Myself Bodywork!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Myself Bodywork!

So, I'm a total noob with motorcycles, and just as noobish with bodywork. After reading some stuff on here, I decided I would attempt my Kat repairs myself. Seeing as I've never done this before, I figured some practice would be in order.
    I acquired a small panel from a Yamaha from a friend. He was going to trash it anyway, plus it was perfect (already cracked and scratched). I took an angle-grinder to it, to add the much needed deep, road-rash-ish gouges.
    With the stage set, I sanded it down, cleaned it, and laid down a layer of Elmers All-Purpose Epoxy (wasn't sure how it would work. I figured this is all practice, so I might as well try it). I let it cure overnight, and it was hard in the morning (just can't help it).
    Ideally, I'll get comfortable enough with this, and then I'll venture on to my own Kat fairings. Stay tuned for progress...(Exciting, I know)
    12- Triumph Daytona 675
    06- Katana 750 -Sold

Go to your auto parts store and get a fiberglass repair kit. It should come with fiberglass resin and some glass fabric. Should cost less than $20. The real strength comes from the combination of fibers and glue. if your just using glue, it will probably end up brittle and crack eventually.

Just scuff up the back side of the fairing, and lay your fiberglass mat on that side. Then you can fill in the front side of the fairing with some bondo.

I'm sure there are more 'proper' ways to fix plastic (i've seen plastic repair kits, but they're usually much more expensive), but i've used this method on several bikes now and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
      Go to your auto parts store and get a fiberglass repair kit. It should come with fiberglass resin and some glass fabric. Should cost less than $20. The real strength comes from the combination of fibers and glue. if your just using glue, it will probably end up brittle and crack eventually.

Just scuff up the back side of the fairing, and lay your fiberglass mat on that side. Then you can fill in the front side of the fairing with some bondo.

I'm sure there are more 'proper' ways to fix plastic (i've seen plastic repair kits, but they're usually much more expensive), but i've used this method on several bikes now and it works great.
      Not the best choice to use fiber glass or bondo on ABS plastics. Just the normal heat variances of the day will cause the 2 to seperate. So will vibrations of the motor. Neither are flexable, and your putting them on a very flexable piece (by design).

A can of ABS cement (liquid ABS, the same as yoru fairings) costs about $4 at lowes. Cost is not an issue here.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Soldering gun and zip ties..

Search the forum for "plastic soldering"

That will easily fix any cracks or breaks. Rash just needs to sanded and filled...

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Not the best choice to use fiber glass or bondo on ABS plastics. Just the normal heat variances of the day will cause the 2 to seperate. So will vibrations of the motor. Neither are flexable, and your putting them on a very flexable piece (by design).

A can of ABS cement (liquid ABS, the same as yoru fairings) costs about $4 at lowes. Cost is not an issue here.

Krey

+1 I found out first hand these do not bond well. You can use the fiber mesh but use either abs cement or an epoxy that specifically states abs plastic on it.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I had read some about the ABS Cement, but couldn't find it at Lowes, so I went with the Epoxy. I can understand using the cement to fix cracks and such, but some deep scratches and gouges need more filling. Is the Cement good for this, or should I use ABS specific epoxy?
            12- Triumph Daytona 675
            06- Katana 750 -Sold

Comment

You can find the ABS cement at Lowes in the plumbing section. Go to the plastic pipes and they will have the ABS glue in there.

Comment

Checked online for store availability- The closest store that has it is 45 minutes away. What the hell? Oh well, I'll make it happen.
                12- Triumph Daytona 675
                06- Katana 750 -Sold

Comment

You need some flex, if it's hard, it's brittle and will crack easy.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I just did a whole bunch of this work myself. I used two part epoxies made for plastic specifically, no regrets so far. You just need to have patience. Keep letting your epoxy cure over night, you can even leave it near your boiler in the basement. A little extra heat will only help (unless you try using a heat gun before it's start to set...woops, learned my mistake there).

It also helps if you can scuff up the surface you are putting it on. That will help it adhere and reduce the risk of it peeling off.

There is also a product that I hear works really well called Evercoat. It is supposedly very easy to work with, and it sands very easily (epoxy doesnt)

I'd give the Evercoat a shot, it seems to be the choice of professionals, definitely stay away from Fiberglass and Bondo though!
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                    X