X

ANyone ever spray painted their bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANyone ever spray painted their bike?

Has anyone ever painted their bike thier self using spray paint? Any pics? What paint would you use, regular autozone spray paint for $5 a can? What would the difference in the paintjob be between DIY and from a body shop?

I have. I only recommend one brand of paint for rattle can. Dupli-Color. You will be able to get a nice even coat with there fan-tip type cans. That, and they have some awsome paint selections.

And most Auto-Zones and Checkers (Kragens) and what not carry what you will need.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

any pointers as to how to "spray" so that I get a nice clean smooth look? Also are there any large decals that I can get so that even if my paintjob isnt that great the attention is taken away from it?

Comment

I got mine from a place on the internet it was an exact match to factory specs!!!

Comment

Check out Ebay. They have tons of decals for relatively cheap cost.
          Ride On,
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            any pointers as to how to "spray" so that I get a nice clean smooth look? Also are there any large decals that I can get so that even if my paintjob isnt that great the attention is taken away from it?
            I bought duplicolor from auto-zone this weekend.

You can get a really good paint job froma rattle can.. just take a look at braadajim's bike. All rattle can.

The key to using rattle can is in the prep work. Actaulyl the key to any paint job is in the prep work. Whatever the primer looks like is what the paint will look like.

What i did for my cowl (a small scale paint job) is i shot it with a couple coats of filler primer to level out all the scratches and such from sanding. Then shot it with some primer. Again i sanded it down a little to get rid of any dust and gnats in the paint (i painted outside.) then after a couple coats of that i shot it will a coat of primer sealer. I lightly sanded where a gnat hit the paint. Then i shot it with a few coats of base. leaving just enough time between coats for it to tack up (10 minutes or so) then shot it with about 3-4 coats of clear. I must say before wet sanding and polishing the cowl looks good.
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

bike

my whole bike is done in duplicolor and one thing to be warned of use duplicolor primer it makes a big differance and some primers do not react well to duplicolor paint had a huge problem with my tank
              it was perfect before my first coat of paint and it made the primer blister
              and aftersanding it i had to sand trew all the coats of primer so beware lol

Comment

you guys have any pics?

Comment

There's a whole thread with TONS of pics of spraypainted bikes somewhere ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

And whatever you do, dont use color rite's clear coat! The paint itself is good, but they're clear coat is NOT.

Comment

paint

use the duplicolor clear if not that i suggest taking it to a realy body shopw and have them just clear it for u

Comment

if you want i can spray it clear for you..... im sure we could work something out

Comment

I've spray painted two different bikes over the last two years and am going to start in on a third this winter. I used Dupli-Color for the Venture and Krylon for the CX500. Others have touched on the fact that you really have to watch what primers and clear coats you use, cause some do not react well together. I used ALL Dupli-color for the Venture and ALL Krylon for the CX500 and they both turned out great. Just take your time and be sure to clean everything good before you start.
                          You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

I used Krylon Fussion on my bike. I'm fairly impressed with the results. Its not a super show room look, but its not as bad as I've seen. I pretty much treated just like any other paint job. I sanded and repaired everything on the fairings as best as I could. Put a number of layers of paint and sanded, paint and sanded and used a variety of grades of sand paper too. I put some clear and sanded as well. Last was a really good wax and buffing job. The fusion stuff was good for the job and it considering how the bike looked when I got it and all the scuffs and scratches, it was the best solution for me and great for a first time bike to learn on too. At least now if I drop the bike or something, I have not shelled out a buttload on a paint job. Was a cool project too. Pic of my ride should show in my profile I think.
                            Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                            Katana

Comment

I used Duplicolor for my bike and was realy happy with the results,And like it was said earlier,The key to good results is prep.Take your time and you'll be surprised how good the work turns out.
                              97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Working...
                              X