No announcement yet.
X

My first project (pic intensive)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to DaBlueSquirrel for the RS-3 exhaust, just installed it yesterday. The sound is.....intoxicating.....

Added a new horse to the stable on Saturday as well. Suzuki Intruder 1400 for $1000 with 18,000 miles
    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Love the kat bro, and enjoy the intruder. I got rid of my intruder not too long ago.
      01' Intruder 1400 [Sold 4/10]
      03' VTX 1800 Retro
      04' Katana 750 [Theft Recovery 2/10]

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
        Just got a few new parts. New Mirrors, bolts from Pro Bolts. and I painted a few more pieces!!! its starting to come together finally.

new vs. old

all new. They are definitely smaller than the stock, but I get a better angle on them, I don't really see my elbows at all

before

after

did you lose that helmet by any chance my girlfriends dad found that same helmet on the side of the road and gave it to me

Comment

hahaa, no I didn't lose the helmet. Thanks for checkin though
          Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
          '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

ha no problem

Comment

did you use any primer before you put the grill paint on?

Comment

Originally posted by rockonayz View Post
                did you use any primer before you put the grill paint on?

I only primed under the candy red, and it's actually truck bed liner, not grill paint. They probably look similar though. But when I repaint over the winter, I will be priming everything. It helps you find small imperfections on this surface so you can fix em before painting.
                Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

I've just reincarnated this project. I'm doing some maintenance/performance work, and lots of cosmetic work,

In the next few months

carb clean
                  re-jet carbs
                  valve spacing
                  DIY ignition advancer
                  new chain/sprockets
                  new tires
                  new grips
                  re-paint (according to picture below)
                  powder coat wheels and swing arm black
                  custom turn signals

new paint scheme

the first picture is how I want to do the turn signals. I have a flexible, waterproof, LED strip that I want to mount inside of the stock turn signal holes with a wire mesh behind it. I Just thought of another idea the other day though. I would still take out the stock turn signals, and cover the holes with a wire mesh, but install yellow cold cathode tubes on either side of the fairings running vertically, and mount them so they can be seen from the side and the front. (second and third pictures below)
                  I am not sure if cold cathode tubes would work though, becuase I don't know how well they would be seen during the day. So I might use something else

CC tubes

Mounted on the bike
                  Last edited by BPryz; 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM.
                  Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                  '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

scratched the cathode idea. and I am almost done with all of the mechanical work. I just finished the Poor Man's Igniotion Advancer, and I did my valve spacing yesterday, and I did the Factory Pro jet kit last month. I figure I might as well grind out the welds on the headers as well while I've got them off.

The oil pan has been dropped and cleaned, as well as the oil cooler, So new oil is in order and a new filter, should be running pretty clean after this. I still have to check the pick up screen, but after that, it will all be getting buttoned back up and I can start getting to the cosmetics.

right now I already have all of the engine side covers off for paint, and I started painting the calipers yesterday.

I convinced one of my professors at school to let me use this as a creative project that we are required to do for an end of the semester presentation. So I have a deadline now. It has to be done by May 10th.

Next to do
                    remove swingarm for powder coat
                    start sanding/repairing fairings
                    custom turn signals
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

wow this is looking pretty good. can't wait to see the new paint job!

Comment

I figure this is long overdue, but here are some shots of my workshop. For renting an apartment while I am in college and working to support myself, I realize how lucky I am to have found such an amazing space to do my work in and am grateful for it every day.

Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Started buttoning things back up yesterday, and got a bit more work done today. Oil pan is back on, oil cooler is back on. I finished grinding out the header welds yesterday, so I just have to paint those and then they will be going back on. I got the dust seals for the swingarm that I accidentally damaged while painting it....oops, so that will be going back on. I am thinking about adding painting my shock onto the list, to go along with the black and gold motif. I just need a warm day to do that.

I am looking for a powder coater so I can get the wheels done black. That is my next major step. I have a friend who works for a stealership in the area, but he gets all of his work done elsewhere, so he is trying to get back in touch with his powder coater for me.

Once all of the hardware is back on, I will start prepping all of the body for paint. It's exciting!

On that note, I tried painting my rear caliper the other day, and it went perfect until I took it apart to put the pads back in. Once I put everything back together I noticed that there was brake fluid coming out from between the two halves. My friend said it was because I had a bad seal between the two, so I got a seal kit, but the new rubber gasket that goes between the two halves looks exactly like the old one, as in they both look perfect and unworn. Am I missing something?

this is what happened to the paint after it had already cured in the oven for an hour at 200 F
                          Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                          '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

you put some time in. it looks really clean.

Comment

Thanks Matthewschools.

Yesterday I started prepping one of the fairings, it has a bunch of cracks that need to be repaired, so that is the big project right now.

I also took apart one of the turn signal housings to start fabbing my custom LED turn signals. This is a rough "mock up" of what it will eventually look like. The housing will be blacked out, and it will be covered with a black wire mesh, and the LED strip will sit on top of that.

Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                                its part of the undertail made by Krazy Kreations. I'd advise against ordering it from them. From what I hear it takes months to actually get your order. I got mine from a fellow Kat rider, but you should have good luck finding it on ebay
                                Yeah, I found that out the hard way. They were selling them on ebay a while back and I was gullable enough to order one. I finally got my $220.00 back a couple of weeks ago. 4 month nightmare
                                Sliminator

Comment

Working...
                                X