X

Maintenance on a 1999 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance on a 1999 600?

I am planning of doing a full tune up to my bike soon. Its a 1999 Katana 600 with 6500 miles. So far the back sprocket seems warn so it is making the chain looser than it should be. So on my list of things to do is #1 New back sprocket new chain #2 new front brake pads #3 Change the Oil. Is there anything else I should look into ?

New front sprocket while you're changing out the others . Only costs about $15 from a dealer .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

'99:

Unless done already by previous owner (or you), it's due for:

Replacement brake lines and caliper piston seals (4 year lifespan);
      Fresh brake fluid (every other year, every year in high humidity locations);
      Replacement fuel lines (every 4 years);
      Replacement vacuum line to the petcock (every 4 years)
      Air filter (due to age);
      Tires (if still on the original tires; 5 year life)
      California models, add: charcoal cannisters, PCV valves, vacuum hoses.

From the sounds of it, you also need chain and sprockets (learn to clean and lube frequently and to not over-tighten it during adjustments, to keep you from having to do this as often in the future; a properly treated chain & sprocket combo should last 12k to 20k miles before needing to be replaced)

At 7500 miles it'll be due for it's next oil change, plus a valve adjustment, retorquing various bolts to spec torque and a safety inspection.

Cheers
      =-= The Cyberpoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow, that Kat has been neglected. 1K miles a year? I hope you ride it more than the previous owner
        Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

well it was purchased at 4000 miles at the end of July so I think I ride just a little more. What bolts would I need to retorque? Also Valve adjustment? How owuld I go about doing that? Is the brake and fuel like hard to replace? Would I need to take out alot of parts? Vacuum line? Whats that?

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
            well it was purchased at 4000 miles at the end of July so I think I ride just a little more. What bolts would I need to retorque? Also Valve adjustment? How owuld I go about doing that? Is the brake and fuel like hard to replace? Would I need to take out alot of parts? Vacuum line? Whats that?
            Get the factory manual to figure out which bolts (brake caliper, axles, exhaust bolts, etc).

The manual for a 98+ Kat 600 is Suzuki part number 99500-35074-03E. Note that this part number may be for the '03 or '04 model year; it's the same manual for the '05 model year except for a two page addendum at the back. $46.56, from RonAyers.com

Brake and fuel lines are very simple to replace. Brake lines unbolt (caution: brake fluid will leak out) and after replacing them, you need to bleed the brake fluid (i.e. - get all the air out). The fuel line is even simpler -- just replace the hose(s). Ditto the vacuum.

The manual will explain everything in far more detail, and searching the forums here will also yield you a lot of answers (such as tips and tricks on bleeding, what aftermarket brands of brake lines are better than stock, and why you'll want to buy speed bleeders when you do the brake lines -- which I'll be happy to sell you).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X