X

painting help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting help

So im gearing up to do a multi-layer paintjob...i am laying a candy coat down first, masking off some sections, then doing the rest of the bike with a flat black...my question is....when do i pull the tape off to avoid creating ridges on the edge? Should I wait till everything is dry, or peel the tape shortly after i shoot?

Or...

am I going to get ridges no matter what I do, and this is somthing that I am going to have to delicately buff out later.
    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
    '97 Intruder 1400

I have absolutely no experience painting but have been reading a bit on it so that I can do a resto on my pre...from what I understand the ridges can be taken care of with wetsanding.
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

Comment

what are you putting under the candy?

base/back mask/black/mask/candy/clear......at least that's how i'd do it, but everyone has their own personal way of getting it done....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

basically doing a large area of prime, base, candy, clear. the masking over what will stay candy, and spraying the rest flat black. I figured i had to do it in that order because the flat black is not getting the clear. thats my plan of attack unless someone with more experience than me has any suggestions....this is my first time doing a multi layer, so i would love any and all help
        Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Well you chose a very hard paint scheme if this is your first attempt in painting. Sounds like you have painted before so painting candies is not easy in the first place. The candies I shoot have to be cleared over while the candy is still wet. I do not know what you are using for paint but I use House of Kolor.
          As for the flats, I have applied the flat over 800 sanded clear. You will have edges, and there is nothing you can do about that since you can not sand or buff flats.
          I use an old hot rodders trick for my flats to achieve a nice uniform true flat appearance. Instead of using a base coat black over flattening agent clear, I use a black primer/sealer which has a catalyst. This I found was a much nicer flat.
          Here is a pic of a busa I did gloss black with flat black stripe and inner side panels.
          If you dream it, you can build it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Customs View Post
            Well you chose a very hard paint scheme if this is your first attempt in painting. Sounds like you have painted before so painting candies is not easy in the first place. The candies I shoot have to be cleared over while the candy is still wet. I do not know what you are using for paint but I use House of Kolor.
            As for the flats, I have applied the flat over 800 sanded clear. You will have edges, and there is nothing you can do about that since you can not sand or buff flats.
            I use an old hot rodders trick for my flats to achieve a nice uniform true flat appearance. Instead of using a base coat black over flattening agent clear, I use a black primer/sealer which has a catalyst. This I found was a much nicer flat.
            Here is a pic of a busa I did gloss black with flat black stripe and inner side panels.
            believe it or not, i actually found a candy paint system that comes in rattle cans...i did a test on one of the inside fairings, and it came out looking hot! we'll see how the final product comes out....my prep i think is done pretty well for an amateur. ive used every single little trick of the trade that i have been able to find. so now im just waiting for good weather and then i'll start shooting....not exactly sure how long its going to take unfortunately.
            Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
            '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Customs View Post

That is one Beautiful Bike. Props on the the whole thing it is a magnificent piece.

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                believe it or not, i actually found a candy paint system that comes in rattle cans...i did a test on one of the inside fairings, and it came out looking hot! we'll see how the final product comes out....my prep i think is done pretty well for an amateur. ive used every single little trick of the trade that i have been able to find. so now im just waiting for good weather and then i'll start shooting....not exactly sure how long its going to take unfortunately.

are you referring to Dupli-colors' metalcast system?

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  are you referring to Dupli-colors' metalcast system?
                  haha, i am indeed, but instead of using the candy coat the suggest, im using their metalspecks can. just adds a bit more sparkle. do you know if that is laquer based, or enamal based. thats one thing i have not been able to find.
                  Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                  '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Just FYI, I used their cs101 rattle can chrome for a ground coat on a bicycle I did with the blue metalcast instead of the recommended ground coat, and the result was much better....the chrome spray is enamel, not to sure about the candy...considering it hasn't wrinkled or lifted, I'm going to assume it is an enamel as well....

don't mind all the fingerprints on the frame....kids...
                    Attached Files

Comment

dupli-color metallic is a laquer base...
                      "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by voodoobilly View Post
                        dupli-color metallic is a laquer base...
                        thats what ive heard...i already did a test piece and it looks gorgeous. I took some pictures but they don't come close to doing the paintjob justice. once I get the whole thing done, pictures will be up.
                        Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

you can use a matte clear coat, it shouldn't change the color you shot to much and it won't get all shiney. I would test spray a matte clear over the candy stuff to see if you like the result and if you do, put a couple of good coats of clear on it, let it set for a couple of days and you can wetsand down the ridges and polish it back up. By using matte clear you'll protect the flat black aswell, rock chips and scratchs and stuff won't show up as much either. You'll have a smooth uniform finish and you'll get rid of some of the orange peel in the clear coat.

You could also use and old automotive trick and put pinstripes over the edges, IE a 3/16" red stripe around the edges and use that to hide them. It'll set off the color differance too.

Comment

Originally posted by methodicreign View Post
                            you can use a matte clear coat, it shouldn't change the color you shot to much and it won't get all shiney. I would test spray a matte clear over the candy stuff to see if you like the result and if you do, put a couple of good coats of clear on it, let it set for a couple of days and you can wetsand down the ridges and polish it back up. By using matte clear you'll protect the flat black aswell, rock chips and scratchs and stuff won't show up as much either. You'll have a smooth uniform finish and you'll get rid of some of the orange peel in the clear coat.

You could also use and old automotive trick and put pinstripes over the edges, IE a 3/16" red stripe around the edges and use that to hide them. It'll set off the color differance too.

one step ahead of ya....

like i said the picture does not do it justice....when its all done the candy should "pop" a little more. this was also before a clear coat
                            Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                            '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

so today was the last of the prep, and the first of shooting the paint....I am going with a candy red and "truck bed liner" paint scheme. Today I finished sanding everything, and did a quick bondo job on my tank...so far so good. no color yet though. going to do a few coats of primer to make sure everything is nice and smooth.

This is the sh** I started with...

had to do a little epoxy repair on the main fairings...

setting up the paint booth

my lazy *** not wanting to take the tank off of the bike

got everything hung up and ready to go. got dark just as i finished shooting the first layer of primer, so no pics today. i should have some tomorrow.

sun setting on another beautiful day...

OH! and I forgot to add.....being that it's april fools day, my friend who I asked to help me decided to leave me a little surprise while I was in class...Spider Man attacks again!

Last edited by BPryz; 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                              X