X

paint difference under decals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint difference under decals

i've read the trheads about removing the decals and glue... but because of fading, is there usually a difference in the color beneath the decals andthe body that has been exposed all along?

i imagine the main purpose of peeling the stickers is to paint it anyway, but what if i just wanted to peel em?
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Depending on outdoor exposure, there will be a color difference ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Yes, the sun tends to fade all paint a little. Some colors are worse than others. Like candy colors tend to fade quicker than opaque ones. It would have to have alot of constant sun exposure to fade considerably though.

Comment

depends on the paint. paint with a quality clear coat over it should not fade any. stock paint, yeah, it will show some fade. first i would try taking a clay bar to the old paint to remove any contaminants that may be adhering to it, then a light wetsand and buff will also help a bit.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

If I remember right you have an 06...I did it to my 06 and you can not tell that there was even stickers on there. I took them off and then just waxed it up, it looks alot better without them. But I think it depends on how much sun it was exposed to.

Comment

The top layer can fade a bit, most of the fade is from fine scratch marks from washing etc.
            Peel the decal then lightly wet sand the area with 1000 and then 2000, polish with a good fine polish, and used a sealer and glaze after and then wax and you wont notice much if any difference at all.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
              The top layer can fade a bit, most of the fade is from fine scratch marks from washing etc.
              Peel the decal then lightly wet sand the area with 1000 and then 2000, polish with a good fine polish, and used a sealer and glaze after and then wax and you wont notice much if any difference at all.
              along the same lines...i know there's plenty of threads about removing the decal glue, but how do you even get the damned decals off? i cant even get a fingernail under them!
              previous rides
              06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
              next ride - another kat

Comment

Goo Gone dude...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I just used a hair dryer...it worked great for me

Comment

+1 on hair dryer
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

its killing me

ok. i got the decals off after a huge ordeal, and i'm really happy with how it looks. BUT there are a few areas that are now a bit duller than the surrounding paint, where i had to work the glue off.

is there a way i can revitalize it to match the shiny surrounding area? will some glossy clear coat bring it back to life?

please be specific about products and methods because im going on my lunch break to pick them up. i cant think about work right now because i want to go out there and complete my project.

work sux really bad when im obsessing like this. what a nuisance.
                      previous rides
                      next ride - another kat

Comment

Megiars Deep Crystal 3 stage system. stage 1 is the cleaner, stage 2 is the polish, stage 3 is the carnuba wax. Might take a bit of work with the polish by hand with micro fiber cloths, but it should get it close enough that it would be extremely hard to notice. It won't hids faded color variations though, it the paint surrounding the decals are faded, and the area under the decals more vivid.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

You need to polish it, not cover it up. You either need to use a buffer or some elbow grease
                          Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                            Megiars Deep Crystal 3 stage system. stage 1 is the cleaner, stage 2 is the polish, stage 3 is the carnuba wax. Might take a bit of work with the polish by hand with micro fiber cloths, but it should get it close enough that it would be extremely hard to notice. It won't hids faded color variations though, it the paint surrounding the decals are faded, and the area under the decals more vivid.
                            thank you. its not fade that is happening, its dull from me taking off the glue. i want to match it with the more vivid, non-decaled, non faded areas. is this product good for general polishing too? over the whole bike?

thx!!
                            previous rides
                            next ride - another kat

Comment

It depends on how dull the paint is. If it's real fine then I personally 3M machine glaze or swirl remover and a power buffer. Also Meguires makes some decent products so you can look for the same machine glaze or swirl mark remover(not sure how they lable their products). If the dullness is greater then you may have to use a fine rubbing compound then use the machine glaze or swirl mark remover. Once you do that a nice coat of wax to finish her off. A power buffer or orbital will help with the process considerbly but it can be proformed by hand with alot of elbow grease.

Comment

Working...
                              X