X

Different rear end...waltari

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different rear end...waltari

or anybody that knows, what does it take to put mainly just a new seat on? i dont really care for the pre98 seat how it hugs the tank

the rear farrings and taillight doesnt bother me the slightest, but if its a simple, get a subframe rear fenders seat and tail from another bike and weld it up that might be a easier option
    -Alex

Currently Looking for a pre 98 katana project

its not the easiest job, as im quickly discovering, im currently undergoing a rear end conversion, wont say what tho :P

ive got a 98+ model so it might be a little different, but to give you an idea..

it involves , cutting of the existing subframe bits, and plating the holes in the frame left from cuttingwelding in a new mount/support bar to accept the new subframe,

the tank will have the indents of where the original seat matched up,that isnt a big deal, its just asthetics.

the biggest beef with it all is making sure its straight on the rest of the bike and in the proper location.

cheers.joe.

Comment

I was just noticeing how nice the post 98 seats are today.. Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by crazymofo
        its not the easiest job, as im quickly discovering, im currently undergoing a rear end conversion, wont say what tho :P

ive got a 98+ model so it might be a little different, but to give you an idea..

it involves , cutting of the existing subframe bits, and plating the holes in the frame left from cuttingwelding in a new mount/support bar to accept the new subframe,

the tank will have the indents of where the original seat matched up,that isnt a big deal, its just asthetics.

the biggest beef with it all is making sure its straight on the rest of the bike and in the proper location.

cheers.joe.
        What Joe said...all except the part about the dents (if you make them go away 8) )

Comment

Are allt he sub frames the same width wise, did any of yall have to widen your subframe?

Im mainly thinking of going with a R1 subframe, any issues i should look out for?
          -Alex

Comment

cos you have to fabricate up a new section of the frame in which the subframe mounts, you shouldnt have problems with the subframes width.

matt: can i ask what you used to fill in the dents?? im thinking a lightweight foam to fill space and mould in some fibreglass onto the tank.

cheers.joe.

Comment

Matt can answer this better because he did it to his but you can weld in a plate or putty etc. I am thinking welding in for mine.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

cos you have to fabricate up a new section of the frame in which the subframe mounts, you shouldnt have problems with the subframes width.

matt: can i ask what you used to fill in the dents?? im thinking a lightweight foam to fill space and mould in some fibreglass onto the tank.

cheers.joe.
                You got it Joe... Welding a tank can be a headache (and face ache) unless you know what your doing. Even if you empty the fuel, rinse, and dry, there is still enough fumes in the tank/metal to cause an explosion. You still need to fill the tank with an inert gas like co2 prior to welding. If I had a NOS tank that had never seen gas, I would have done it with metal on mine but I think the glass work turned out just fine.

Comment

Hey Matthew, what's the song on your website...it sticks in your head like Lou's head in a vise

Comment

Is the R1 subframe Al or steel?

Also, do you end up needing a separate key for ignition and seat?
                    I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                      Is the R1 subframe Al or steel?

Also, do you end up needing a separate key for ignition and seat?
                      The R1 subframe would be aluminum (as is my RC51 sub) My seat is held on by to 10mm bolts on the back and clips onto the front. I have storage where the passenger seat should go and that would normally be opened wit a key, I currently have mine setup with a pull...may see if I can get a lock keyed the same as the tank/ignition and rig it up.

Oh as for the song on my site...honestly cant remember...found it a few years back on some random search.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        I was just noticeing how nice the post 98 seats are today.. Hmmmm
                        And whose seat would that be??
                        1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

mmm dont have much experience welding aluminum...steel subframe might be my best bet

(anybody know what bikes had steel subframes?)

since im not going to have a rear rider, i honestly thought about remounting the battery in the rear storage area (given the rear tail fenders are long enouigh)

therefor the seat and rear cowl will never need to be removed.
                          -Alex

Comment

Waltari by any chance do you have a step by step or maybe pictures after you cut the cat subframe off and when you patched the holes?
                            -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari

cheers.joe.
                              You got it Joe... Welding a tank can be a headache (and face ache) unless you know what your doing. Even if you empty the fuel, rinse, and dry, there is still enough fumes in the tank/metal to cause an explosion. You still need to fill the tank with an inert gas like co2 prior to welding. If I had a NOS tank that had never seen gas, I would have done it with metal on mine but I think the glass work turned out just fine.
                              to things, either ventilate big time or fill the tank and don't vent it.Gasoline need air to ignite < ask Lou >
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X