X

powder coated gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powder coated gas tank

If im powder coating my katz gas tank, should i worry about gasoline eating the paint? Would it get rust? Just wondering, i know how to powder coat but i dont know the answer to both of these questions? Thanks
    jayskat23

Originally posted by riverajay23 View Post
    If im powder coating my katz gas tank, should i worry about gasoline eating the paint? Would it get rust? Just wondering, i know how to powder coat but i dont know the answer to both of these questions? Thanks

Why powder coat?

It won't match the paint for the other parts. You won't be able to PC the plastics. The finish will be a bit more dull than auto paint with clear.

Have you considred how your going to clean the tank to remove all traces of gas residue and fumes from inside the tank prior?

Just some things to consider...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Why powder coat?

It won't match the paint for the other parts. You won't be able to PC the plastics. The finish will be a bit more dull than auto paint with clear.

Have you considred how your going to clean the tank to remove all traces of gas residue and fumes from inside the tank prior?

Just some things to consider...

Krey

definitely reconsider painting it...powder coating is more for higher heat applications...and a helluva lot harder to get off!

Comment

I powder coat, and in your case, I would paint the gas tank.

Powder is good for many applications, and saying it is "more for higher heat applications" is incorrect. You would be surprised just how much stuff is powder coated.
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

so just wondering, why stay away from pc if it can be use for many applications? Just wondering, Im starting to think about winter projects. Thanks
          jayskat23

Comment

Originally posted by riverajay23 View Post
            It was suggested to me that I should powder coat my wheels rather than paint and clear them. Reason being the powder coat is more durable and also resistant to oils. Now the only reason to not powder coat the tank (beside prep) is appearance. If you want the tank to not match the fairings, or think you can make it match then powder coat to your hearts content.
            Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

thanks man, and actually the tank is gonna be a different color anyways. But like i said, im taking all suggestions and just wondering.
              jayskat23

Comment

I was mostly thinking of matching your colors, but if you are not worried about the color match, go for it
                It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Working...
                X